5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Waiting for more information on fallen updates

PATCH WATCH

Waiting for more information on fallen updates

By Susan Bradley

After each Patch Tuesday release, I scan the security forums and websites for reports of patching issues.

I morbidly call this monthly search "looking for dead bodies." At this time, I'm still waiting to see what happens with MS12-006.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/waiting-for-more-information-on-fallen-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Known Issues. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2633171 documents the currently known issues that customers may experience when installing this security update. The article also documents recommended solutions for these issues.
    Now click on that KB and you will see:
    Known issues

Certain systems that have an Intel integrated graphics card or an AMD ATI HD graphics card installed may crash after this security update is installed. When this problem occurs, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:
    Stop 0x0000007F

Microsoft has investigated this issue in partnership with both Intel and AMD. We have identified an incompatibility between this update and certain older versions of the Intel and AMD graphics drivers. Both Intel and AMD have posted updated drivers that resolve this issue.

For more information about how to obtain updated drivers to resolve this issue, visit the following webpages:
    So if you've been seeing BSOD's ...now you know why. Update to a later video driver.