5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vague error messages complicate troubleshooting

LANGALIST PLUS

Vague error messages complicate troubleshooting

By Fred Langa

Here's what to do when unknown and uncommunicative software tries — and fails — to launch at boot.

Any of three different approaches, including careful use of Windows' built-in selective startup, should get to the root of the problem.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/vague-error-messages-complicate-troubleshooting/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just a nitpick about rooting and Android phones

Hi, Fred--

In your column this week, you state:

I've found several add-on Android screen-capture apps since writing that article. Most of the free ones work only with rooted phones — that is, phones that have been wiped clean of all the manufacturer's software, and set up with a copy of unmodified Android.
    Rooting an Android phone doesn't mean that anything is wiped clean. I have a Droid X2 that is rooted, and it has all the original Verizon software on it. Most of it has been frozen using a program designed for that purpose.

All rooting means is that a program called SuperUser has been installed on the phone. There is usually a trick to getting it on the phone, but there are simple methods to do this. Once that is installed, you simply have access to the phone's internals, and you can do as much or as little as you please (within reason, or sometimes not so within reason). The reason I rooted my phone was to stop most of the Verizon software from running and draining the battery, and to run a program called AdFree, which stops most ads from running.

Thanks for all the information.

Take care,

--Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another free password manager alternative

In this last edition the free password manager KeePass was mentioned as a good way to keep all your passwords safe. I looked at KeePass and was going to use it until I was pointed to a program called LastPass (https://lastpass.com). I found it very easy to set up and use. Yes, even easier than KeePass. After watching a video review of “LastPass Security” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Q_anb7pwg) I started using it. The two podcast hosts cover a lot of material over two hours so if you want to see what they say about LastPass you need to move ahead in the show to a time of 53 minutes 30 seconds.

Steve Gibson is a former programmer and admits at the beginning of the show that he has spent more time (literally days) on Lastpass than on any other thing he’s looked into. In this podcast he assumes that the listener knows very little about encryption and explains why he trusts this company and ultimately switched all his security to them.

Needless to say after watching the LastPass review I was convinced to try it and I’ve found it to be everything I’ve needed. I am not saying it’s better than KeePass but the explanation convinced me to go with Steve’s recommendation. (the explanation is probably long for experienced users and encryption experts)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DNev For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-01-26)

Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall

Re Vague error messages complicate troubleshooting.

In following Fred's instructions, I found that my Control Panel All Programs did not list Uninstall a Program directly, instead I found it only by mousing over Programs and Features. Clicking on the latter then brought up the list of programs installed and the tab Uninstall over it. Does Windows 7 Control Panel come in various configurations?

I found that by going to View > Sort by > Installed on I was better able to locate the most recently installed programs.

An alternative way is through My Computer's sub-menu bar: Uninstall or Change a Program.
    Last edited by Dic; 2012-01-26 at 17:16. Reason: Another path

Thanks
    Hello Dic,

The Windows 7 Control Panel has three possible views. Category View, is how Fred's is displayed. One of the categories is labeled Programs and the link beneath it is Uninstall a program.

There are two other views available. There is a View by: drop down selector located in the upper right of Control Panel that allow you to select Category, Large icons, or Small icons view. Your selector is evidently set for Small or Large icons view, where you found Programs and Features, which contains the Uninstall routine for Windows 7.

Thanks
    Another Control Panel view option I install on all my computers is changing the start menu to view the control panel as a menu. This will show all the control panel apps as a flyout when you click on Control Panel from the start orb.

Right click on a blank area of the task bar, select properties, click on the start menu tab, click on the customize button and set the control panel radio button to display as a menu. While I'm in there, I also enable Run command and show system administrative tools.

Jerry

Thanks

Vague Java JRE Message

The Java Quick Starter by default starts with Windows. This could be the component which was causing the error message encountered by the reader. Uninstalling and updating JRE may not solve this issue in some Windows configurations. The Java Control Panel's Advanced Tab offers control over whether or not Java Quick Starter is started on boot-up. Much better than messing around inside msconfig without knowing that JQS.exe is the Startup item for Java Quick Starter.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-02-01 at 11:35.
    -- Bob Primak --