Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Ready or not, you're getting IE 8 or 9

TOP STORY

Ready or not, you're getting IE 8 or 9

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft wants to strong-arm us into abandoning IE 6 and embracing its latest browsers.

Starting Jan. 17, Microsoft began pushing out IE 8 and IE 9 to all customers through Windows Update.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/ready-or-not-you-re-getting-IE-8-or-9/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Link to article should be http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ing-ie-8-or-9/

(No - in youre.)

Bruce

Thanks
    Bout time. IE 6 and IE 7 are very insecure. The more people still using this, the more chance they will cause all of us problems IMHO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

thanks for confirming that I'm not "off with the faeries". I'm still running two XP boxes and I've had IE8 on them for some time. The only time I ever use IE on these boxes is to do a manual Windows Update. I have Windows Update set to "tell me about it but don't do anything else unless I authorise it". In spite of having IE8 already installed, Windows Update still wants to update to IE8. I let one of the boxes do it. It took a long time and two or three re-boots. I think that this was more than a simple update from IE8 to IE8. Call me "paranoid", but ...

Regards,
    Richard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,
    Excellent artilce. I like the way you assume a low level of initial reader familiarity with the product. I often find that help articles begin at a level that is higher than I would like. Why? Probably because reviewers, by definition, are very familiar with lots and lots of apps and most importantly the ones they've just spent played with to write their reviews. I only use IE9 occasionally. I prefer Opera. But sometimes IE9 is essential. This means that I need it, but am not familiar with it. It also means that I need access to all those menus and buttons. Many thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Vista Home Basic machine I had been running IE7 which was pretty slow - (the processor is a Celeron M with 2GB memory, so not completely unexpected).
    From the hoo-hah surrounding the 'new' IE8, I thought things would be better with that, so I upgraded. Bad decision - now takes half as long again up to twice as long for IE to come up. There were no other changes at that time.
    Seems that despite the Microsoft comments that 'the new system will be faster and better' I have never found it to be so - mind you I don't do gaming or prolonged web-browsing - I target what I want and then focus.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. If I am forced at some point to accept IE9, those tips will come in handy, but I am still resisting upgrading to IE9. I accepted IE8 only because I could edit the registry to allow me to move the URL back below the Menu bar where I prefer it. I am completely at a loss to understand why Microsoft thought I would prefer the tabs to be located above all the menus at the top of the screen rather than right on top of the windows as they are in IE8. That "feature" in itself is enough to keep me from accepting IE9. I'm hoping Microsoft will get enough negative feedback that they will move the tabs back down to their previous location in some future version of the browser. I don't understand why Microsoft wants to make their programs more like other programs. Obviously, at least to me, if people preferred other ways of doing things, they would use those programs. Just because Microsoft makes their programs look like a poor clone of some other software, why would a user of that software switch back to Microsoft. On the other hand, if we are using the Microsoft programs now, then it must mean we prefer the way Microsoft is doing things. So Microsoft is thumbing their corporate noses at their existing customers in the hopes of luring back other customers that are probably gone for good. Where is the logic in that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I enjoyed youyr article regarding the upgrade to IE9. I thought I was using IE8. I just checked and found that MS DID update my browser. I had been wondering why I lost the "tools" in Adobe Acrobat Reader. The PDF files seem to open in IE9 now. Is there a way to have Reader be the default program to open PDF files?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerri View Post
    The PDF files seem to open in IE9 now. Is there a way to have Reader be the default program to open PDF files?
    Open Adobe Reader, then Edit, Preferences, Internet, and uncheck Open PDF in browser under Web Browser Options.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Strong arm"?! I'd hardly call it that for a company to stop wanting to support a 10 year old browser. Nor is it true that Microsoft has never forced an IE upgrade, if by force you mean require it to continue with further patching. To me it sounds like Ms. Bradley is surprisingly behind the times for an IT person. My parents and relatives (all barely computer literate) have been IE8 and now IE9 for some time without any real complaints or issues.

Welcome to 2012.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I’m not thrilled with its default interface — a sort of Google Chrome clone
    I'd like to know what she has against Chrome? I switch back and forth between Chrome and Firefox. I haven't used IE in years. I'd take it off my machines completely, but, seeing as it has its hooks into many aspects of the OS, that's not possible.

Thanks
    On Windows 7 you can disable Internet explorer if you wish to do so
    http://www.bgr.com/2009/03/07/micros...-in-windows-7/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I'd like to know what she has against Chrome? I switch back and forth between Chrome and Firefox. I haven't used IE in years.
    I'd like to know what you have against IE.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Chrome. But I also USE IE. And when I'm used to tabs, favorites, and all the other stuff of IE, I'd like it to stay that way and not be removed when I upgrade to IE9.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This merely removes the icon, IE 's code is still on the box and thus please update to IE9 to better strengthen the Operating system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast