New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing shortcut icons from Public Desktop

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I am in the habit of running as a limited user and whenever installing software using the 'Run as Administrator' option. I have separate folders on the desktop containing related types of programs e.g. Applications, Security, Utilities etc.

Within the last week I have noticed that I am unable to transfer a recently installed icon to a folder to a folder in either the limited user or administrator desktops. Windows update installed four security updates on 12 January 2012 = KB2584146, KB2585542, KB2631813 and KB2644615 shortly before I noticed the problem.

I drag the icon to the folder, respond to the 'provide administrator permission' prompt, if needed, but the icon will not move.

I logged on as Administrator and found that I could still not move, delete or copy the icons.

Using WIndows Explorer with 'show hidden files' enabled I found there was a copy of the shortcut icon in a folder called 'Public Desktop' in a folder called C:\Users\Public\Desktop containing only the offending shortcuts. Using the Administrator account I can edit these permissions but they do not change after saving.

Can anyone explain why the change has occurred?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you turn on the "attributes" column in explorer, you should see that all the directories in the Public directory are Read-Only.
    I don't know when or why. The name "Public" sounds like it should be more open than that.