Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Disable add-ons message

I have always been a Firefox user, I thought it was more secure but have started to jump on IE9 just to see what's what, what's new etc. Curious I am a 2012 AVG free edition user and whenever I open IE9 I get a pain in the butt window that opens up telling me if I disable my add-ons all will be faster. I checked the add-ons and it's my AVG protection that it wants me to disable. Not a big deal but wonder why and is it possible to turn off.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can adjust the total load time IE uses to display the message but you can't completely disable it. When the message appears press the "Manage/Select add-ons" (the message refuses to pop up for me right now & I can't remember the exact wording). At the bottom of the next form there is a total time. Increase it to whatever value you please.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2012-01-30)

Thanks
    Absolutely mind-boggling as for whatever reason I was fooling around with tool-bars display before I started this thread. Anyway now for whatever reason the window is not opening up and I don't have a clue as to what I did to fix problem. If it returns I will use advice given above, Thanks Joe.

Thanks
    You most likely didn't do anything. The toolbars you were fooling with added to the startup time and put the total startup over the limit. To see it again to allow you to change the time limit, just add the toolbars back in. Or better yet just enjoy IE as is without the unneccesary tool bars.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You most likely didn't do anything. The toolbars you were fooling with added to the startup time and put the total startup over the limit. To see it again to allow you to change the time limit, just add the toolbars back in. Or better yet just enjoy IE as is without the unneccesary tool bars.
    Excellent as it was a pain in the butt and I did not have a clue as to the start up time limit program.

Another question, I notice I have 2 Internet Explorers, one is Internet Explorer and the other is Internet Explorer (64 Bit). Now both are IE9, Wondering if I need both and wondering why there are 2 of them and wondering can I uninstall one and then wondering which one. (I know I walk around most of the day wondering about stuff)

Thanks
    You automatically get both when you have 64 Bit Windows and install IE. Leave them both there. Because add ons are becomming more plentiful for 64 Bit, many are using the 64 Bit version more often. The 32 Bit version is actually the default version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thank you Ted I was curious but after thinking about it thought it might be stupid to remove. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You can adjust the total load time IE uses to display the message but you can't completely disable it. When the message appears press the "Manage/Select add-ons" (the message refuses to pop up for me right now & I can't remember the exact wording). At the bottom of the next form there is a total time. Increase it to whatever value you please.

Joe
    Geeze I'm so PC challenged, the add-on started again and I finally got into the time delay and increased the value. It is tough when you have to read something 25 times before you actually understand what you are reading and follow the instructions given that a simpleton would understand and act on immediately.

Thanks
    We all started somewhere, especially those of us that are self taught. Good job in finding the area to increase this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Agree with the self taught but my forehead's getting sore from constant hand smacking it. Usually accompanied with the verbal DUH! That's what they meant.

Thanks
    My forehead is VERY flat!!! Have a great evening.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Back At-cha

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can eliminate the add-ons pop-up fromTools (on the Command Bar)> Toolbars> Disable add-ons> Tell me when the delay caused by add-ons exceeds x seconds.

Thanks
    Regards
    Rebecca
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-18 at 13:45. Reason: Removed Link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the loading times.

"Load time" is one of the column headings in the Manage Add-ons - View and Manage your Internet Explorer add-ons.
    Double clicking on the add-on name just brings up information about the add-on. Clicking the time itself (e.g., 0.00s) does nothing. Clicking the title of the column, Load time, only changes the order within a publisher/vendor.

Please advise. Thx. Freda
    Toshiba Satellite Pro P870, Intel i7, Windows 7, IE 10

Thanks
    There is no way of changing the load time. Add-ons take the time they take to load. You can however change the time before the message pops up as Rebecca has shown above.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast