Sorel Leinburd

Outlook Express 6

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had tried to import messages from Outlook Express 5.5 into Outlook Express 6. The wizard on my version of XP (which came from dell on a new system) only provides choices for OE4 and OE6 (aside from other 3rd party mail clients).

I've tried a number of ways to import messages from my notebook onto the new pc, but the only messages that worked using the import wizard were those from OE 4. There is nothing available that I can find in the MS online knowledge database. Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks.

Sorel Leinburd

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express 6

I have just copied my older version of the address book and email file to the new machine. I do this as the first thing after setting up my account and over writing the new files or renaming them. I found that each new version of IE and/or Windows wanted these files at different locations. I have done this on my beta machine for each beta build that I installed for Windows XP.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Sorel Leinburd

Hi Dave,

Okay. I know where the OE6 message files are stored; I'll try copying over all of the files generated in OE5 which didn't get imported and we'll see what happens.

Thanks.
    Sorel

Sorel Leinburd

Hi Dave,

I tried copying one of my OE5 message files that wasn't imported by the wizard (it was a dbx file) manually into the same folder where the OE6 files reside. I noted though, that the backup of my OE4 and OE5 files have a subfolder full of mbx and ibx files. These are randomly numbered, unlike the dbx files which are named consistent with the names assigned to folders in the inbox.

But when I go to the OE6 folder where my message files are stored, there is no subfolder at all. Nor could I locate any other subfolder in the root directory where I was able to find any mbx or ibx files.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
    Sorel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Like I said, each OE version and/or OS will store these files at different places. Now that you have your OE set up, do a search on *.wab for tha address book, and *.dbx for the mail box. You will need to copy ALL of the dbx files and place them in the sam folder that you found the new ones in.

I think you said that you installed Windows XP, most user files will be in the "Documents and settings" folder and then sub folder under the "user" that you are logged in as.

Sorel Leinburd

Hi Dave,
    Thanks, it worked when copying over all of the .dbx files.

Regards,
    Sorel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Good, now you know what and where the files are that need to be backed up.