3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win. Live Mail: Photos can't be mailed to another person in small size

I know, it sounds like I just don't know how to find the thingy that lets you size down photos to 640 x 480. But that's not the problem.

This is WLM 2011 on Win7. I also have WLM 2009 on another Win 7 computer. Speaking about the 2011 version now.

I have unchecked the send as photo mail option in the Options tabs. It makes no difference.

I want to select photos from My Pictures and email them to someone else's computer in a 640x4980 size. That should be simply a matter (in Windows 7) of right clicking and picking Send To: Mail Recipient, or, at the top of the window clicking EMAIL. So I did one of each in different trials. Using the email button I was able to pick a size to send, but, it showed up in the email as a square photo. Each time, I got the WLM sign-in box. I suspected it planned to send my photos to the WLM website or something so I said no. It then put my photo into an email, cropped from a rectangle into a square, with grey words asking for an album title and with a square for "another photo." I sent it to the other person and it arrived just like that, with the cropped photo and the words about adding an album.

Next, I tried opening an email blank form, and using the "paper clip" to attach the photo. I browsed to My Pictures, selected my photo and atached it to the email. I emailed it to the other person (who is in this house so I could go see what they got). It arrived as an attachment, full size, and showed in her email as a very large picture (from one side of the email to the other.

Right now I am experimenting with using several ways to send photos in the same email - using the paperclip, using the email button, using the "individual photo" button, and so on, and it is so impossible to figure out. There is the "album" square photo in there, then the next one I clicked the Insert tab and then Individual photo, and it imported into the picture but no sign of it as an attachment. I did a second one that way and it also appeared in the picture but not as an attachment, and, it is sitting immediately below the other one I imported as individual photo, not even a line space between them where I could type a photo number or description!!!! I then tried moving it by clicking it and pulling it downward but it won't move.

I went on to use the paper clip method several times and those photos attached to the emails biut have not shown up in the body of the email. I am ready to tear my hair out.

I don't want to send large pictures to people. I like to be able to send maybe 10 or 15 photos, file size about 75 kb, give or take, that are visible in the body of the person's email in 640 x 480 size, and also, attached as small size files.

I am totally stuck here. I can't figure out what to do. If there is NO way to do want within WLM, does anyone know of an add-in/plug-in which integrates itself with WLM and also lets me use buttons to do what I want from within WLM so I don't have to open a second program to do this?

WLM is so inefficient! I email a lot of photos (for work purposes, not social), so speed and efficiency really count for me.

Thank you,
    Kelliann
    Last edited by kelliann1; 2012-01-26 at 23:21. Reason: Left something out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried to attach a small size photo file in Windows Live Mail 2009 on a Win7 Professional laptop. Opened My Pictures, selected a photo, right clicked, picked Send To: Mail Recipient and in the photo size box clicked 640 x 480. A mail opened with photo attached. It was not visible in the body of the mail but that was ok - the photo number was there, and when I send it, I know it will both be attached to the mail and will be visible in the body of the email that the recipient gets. This is how I want WLM 2011 to work.

Does anyone know how WLM 2010 handles sending pictures, and if it is like WLM 2009, can anyone tell me where to get 2010?

Thank you
    Kelliann

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann,
    I only use WLM 2009 as its the best. Here's how.

Capture.JPG

Any photo I want to insert in the body of the message is cut to size using Paint.Net before starting. I normally only use one, although more can be added if desired. If you intend sending multiple photo's, I suggest leaving them uncut. Put them in a folder, then zip it using 7Zip and add to your mail as an attachment.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    In WLM 2011 you can still resize your photos manually;
    In a new email message go to the "insert" tab and select "Single Photo", select your photo from a directory of your choosing,
    add the photo, resize manually with the mouse, then repeat the process. It's a bit of a pain in the **s but try it and see how it goes.

WLM 2009 was much better at attaching & sending photos in the email body than 2011, hopefully they will fix this in the future.
    WLM 2011 seem to be good at sending slide show presentations.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-27 at 07:26.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, I need them to both be visible in the body of the email and to be attached in the small size. In the email they need to be separated by some space so I can type under them. When I tried separating two pasted-in ones that appeared after using Individual Photo, they wouldn't move. But I can try it again.

This is for work purposes where I might need to send someone 30 photos to choose from and then I will send the full sized photos they pick. I did this in XP using Outliook Express. I am doing my best to cope with Microsoft's changes to the way I work, but extra steps like this cut into my wsork time and make me far less efficient. How is WLM 2010 at sending pictures? Does it work like 2009, I hope? I don't want to use their oldest email program just because I think I should move along into the future <g> but maybe I'll have to stay with 2009. Or I guess the other choice is to use the SevenForums.com method of making Windows Mail work on Windows 7 by replacing a file or two (I forget what the exact procedure is but it didn't sound hard).

Another thought - do you happen to know how photo-sending works if you use Outlook? I never wanted to use Outlook because it had all those extra featiures I didn't need but maybe I'll have to. I have Outlook 2003, and a trial version of Outlook 2010.

Kelliann
    Kelliann
    Last edited by kelliann1; 2012-01-27 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Made this just for you Kelliann.zip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,
    Wow - that is awesome that you did that for me. I just read through what you explained. I have work to do so have to get back to this tonight.

Thanks
    I have always thought, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat' (to quote an old saying) and not just be using a different knife

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still have not had time to go through that - I am way past deadline on 2 projects. Just wanted to let you know. I have surfaced long enough to ask a few other questions in connection with difficulties I'm having that involve my work, but will probably need to ask in a different section.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the answer to how you do this - see http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-...lm-2011-a.html the post by CAR.