Thanks

(SOLVED!) A few questions about RAM

I have recently encountered an old memory module from a computer that the office I work at disposed of. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it for future use (i.e. a computer that might need it) or selling it to someone who does, but I don't know much about it. Sadly, the computer it came from is already gone, and all I know is it was a custom-built computer, so I can't consult an OEM site to find out what kind of memory it is.

It is a RAM stick that uses three contacts; something I've never seen before. I took a snapshot of it, and you can view it below. Hopefully someone here knows more about the density and capacity of it than I do. I'm sure it is probably single channel DDR, and I doubt it could be more than 512MB, as the computer was over 10 years old:

3 contact memory.JPG

This leads me to my next question: the computer had this memory in it, along with another stick that had a striking difference: the pictured RAM had 16 chips, 8 on each side, whereas the second stick only had 8, all on one side. Could that mean that one was low density, and the 8 chip stick was high density? What is the difference between them, and how does it affect the computer's performance?
    Last edited by Diogones; 2012-03-10 at 14:33.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    That's older style SDRAM, Googling the numbers on the yellow sticker will give you more info.

Thanks
    Old memory dating back a few generations, looks like 168 pin SDRAM.
    It's probably less than 128 MB (double sided), might even be 64 MB (single sided)

Like Browni says, try googling the serial numbers on it. I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding it or something very similar.

Thanks
    Thanks all for your help; I was able to find out what kind it was from a more thorough Internet search. Yep, it's the first generation SDRAM, and it's only 64MB, as Clint suggested. Marking the thread as solved.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Not worth anything to sell either.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Absolutely right Ted: I have an electronics waste recycling center that isn't nearby, but it will recycle most household waste (paint, oil, etc) and electronics for free. I'm sending it there sometime next week, since nobody is going to want such old RAM in these small densities.