New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow and crashing Windows Explorer

I built a home PC to edit home movie files. It has Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit (updated) running on Intel I7 930, 6 GB memory, and a BFG Video card 896 MB, all on an ASUS P6X58D motherboard. I built it to avoid all the junk that comes with a branded computer. Having built the PC, you would think that I would know something, but that is not the case. The editing program runs extremely fast compared with my previous PC. File access, on the other hand, is very annoying. In the window explorer's window, if I right click a file, I get the swirling circle (don't know name of it) that replaced the hourclass. I feel like I have installed or am running something that is examing my files before they open. I added a backup drive, but tis problem predates the backup drive. I think I am free of malware. I also get frequent crashes of Window's Explorer. With all this hardware, I shouldn't be waiting for file access or dealing with crashing winidows. The little report that shows up when it crashes, and I send it to MS. Any direction would be appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First step: see what's running in Task Manager and use Autoruns (Google it) to see whats booting up. Then post back.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, I don't see my earlier reply. First, thanks. The Boot/execute tab in Autoruns is blank. There is tons of other information. Nice utility. There are some red highlighted items, not sure why they are highlighted. Task Manager shows 101 processes running. I don't see how to list them out, still looking.

Thanks
    You want to check the logon and winlogon tabs for executables you don't need. In task manager, click on the show processes from all users button and then click on the CPU column header to sort by cpu activity to see using up your cpu bandpass.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Frequent WE crashes and slow right click response are often symptoms of a mis-behaving context menu handler. Have you installed or updated a program which adds context menu entries? Have un-installed a program that added context menu entries?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

thx

I was away for the weekend. Thanks for the input and replies. I will let you know the outcome.