New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I move an Access-based program from one HD to another?

I have a program called Asyst32 for MS Access, which is an Access-based police citations program. It was originally installed on an older machine running Windows XP SP3.

I would like to move it to another machine, by either moving the program itself or the entire hard drive where it is located.

The problem is this: it was originally installed with a disc, which I no longer have. It also had multiple downloaded updates installed in the time we were using the program. We have since discontinued the support for the program and use it for legacy database searches, nothing else.

However, since we no longer have support, I feel it is unlikely I would be able to re-install it to a new hard drive even if I had the disc.

I had originally believed I could just run it from the hard drive once it was installed into my machine as a ‘slave’, however further investigation reveals this is unlikely to work.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do, other than have two entire machines sitting on my desk, which is what I’d like to eliminate.

I appreciate all suggestions and can provide more pertinent information as needed.

THANKS!

Thanks
    Kim,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster.

The answer to your question is it all depends.
    It depends on how the developer chose to save the information the program needs to access on startup and while running.
    If it is fairly recent program i.e. 2003 forward it most likely wrote a lot of information to the Registry in which case it would need to be reinstalled or you would have to do a lot of research and find every registry key it set up and the programs they point to and move all that information to the new computers Registry...decidely not an easy task if even possible.
    If on the other hand it is an older program and the developers didn't adapt they may have written this information to one or more .ini files. If this is the case a simple moving of the program directories and the .ini files and you could be up and running. I say could because you still have to address the use of common .dll files which may have changed from XP to 7 and not operate exactly the same.

I think you'll find the general consensus is if you don't have the disk you're out of luck.

One other tact you can take, since you're only using it for searches is to find out how the data was stored. Often this information is stored in dBase {.dbf or .db4} file format or Access {.mdb} format, even the datafile may have a different file extension. If you can identify the data file you can try opening it with Excel and/or Access, both will read these formats, and doing your searches there.

Good Luck!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

KimScoop13 (2012-01-30)

Thanks
    Welcome to the lounge

The Access database file can easily be moved. You don;t need any installation disk to do that..

If the installation also installed other software then you this will cause some extra work. But still probably can be done. I have done it. I have done it for Access applications where the vendor had gone out or business or no longer supported the application.

However, since we no longer have support, I feel it is unlikely I would be able to re-install it to a new hard drive even if I had the disc.
    Support may be jut for updates.

I would still urge you to contact the software vendor. They will be your best source for a solution. They may even provide a replacement installation disc. Have you ask?

Words of Wisdom: If you never ask the answer is always NO.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

KimScoop13 (2012-01-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @RetiredGeek--that's what I was afraid y'all were going to say. It is a newer program (2006) so it does probably have lots of registry entries. I hadn't thought to look for the datafile, though, so I will try that. Since it is only for searching, if I can open it in Access or Excel, I'd be happy.

@HiTechCoah-I hadn't thought about support being just for updates. I will attempt to contact the vendor, since as you point out, not asking is a definite No.

Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate your help!

Thanks
    Even if there are registry keys, other custom controls, etc, it still is very possible it can moved manually.

Another option is Visualization. You could convert the old computer to a Virtual Machine and run it "As Is" on an another computer. Nothing has to be reinstalled. I am in the process of converting an older laptop running XP to a VM using Virtual PC. This will allow the XP OS and software on the Laptop to be moved to a new Windows 7 machine. It will run in a Virtual Machine without having to reinstall anything.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @HiTechCoach And is converting to a Virtual Machine easy to do? I'm fairly tech-savvy about some things, but I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks
    Depending on which VM you will use, there are utilities that will make the process simple.

For Microsoft's Virtual PC i have these links on my site: Virtualization (Click here)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

KimScoop13 (2012-01-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A number of things to consider here. If Asyst32 is just a database developed in access it should have a file extension of .MDB or MDE if its complied, you should be able to easily move it. If it's a program that was developed in .net or another programming language that just uses an access data format you may have a more difficult time. The easy way to check is make sure Access is installed on your new machine and copy the program to it and see if it runs.
    “My father says almost the whole world’s asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just as an update, because I appreciate everyone's help:

I am looking into making this run as a virtual machine, simply because being able to run the software will make searches easier. We also have yet another citation system that I could also run as a virtual as it is so old there's not even any information around on the internet about it. So that suggestion was definitely beneficial and I thank HiTechCoach for the input.

But, as mentioned by both RetiredGeek and bresinri I WAS able to find the .mdb files so I can at least search the raw data in the mean time.

Thanks, Loungers for your help and suggestions--much appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes with the VM's