Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erniek View Post
    I do not know about paypal but with\in Amazon you can remove any credit card. See this link on how to do so:
    https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdu...g-Credit-Cards

If you want to be extra sure that in the [unlikely] event of Amazon getting hacked you can make an order setup a credit card and then after payment is confirmed you can go back and delete\remove the card once again
    This link is to Amazon FPS which appears to be some kind of online payment business in competition with PayPal.I think most of the references in these posts are to regular Amazon accounts where you pay for purchases only made on Amazon.I believe that they are seperate entities.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    That all depends on what you have to hide!
    Typical Liberal Big Government type reply. One need NOT have ANYTHING to Hide in order to Expect Privacy. Airport so called Security is a good example. It is not about security, it is about Control and Unconstitutional Forcing people to SUBMIT. Same goes for Google, a Monopoly with the same attitude.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

LeonW (2012-04-05),pfvincent (2012-02-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cocopuffed View Post
    i use an email account provided to me by my phone company. about a year ago, they announced that they would use Gmail -- so we all had to make up a Gmail addy. i still use my old address, but by going thru google, does this mean i am being 'watched' by google too?
    It could be - Virgin Media (a UK cable company) started using Google Apps to manage its email service about 18 months ago, and all Virgin email addresses got the email about changes to the privacy policies. There has been an apology saying it was a mistake, and that "Google has no access to any personal, account or password information", but there has not yet been any explanation of how or why the error occurred!
    PFV

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google is an excellent example of a company that gets itself into a near-monopoly position and then lowers its standards to make as much money as possible,which then move across the board by forcing its competitors to follow suit. Here is what Google has done recently:

1. - Made the first page of search results into a Google landing page with ads framing the search results and at the bottom, Google Maps results, Google Products, with may of the sites appearing in the ads also appearing in the search results or having more than one search result, pushing other sites further down than they used to be, losing them high percentages of their visitors and even higher percentages of their income.

2. - Merged its ads with the search results, making them as indistinguisable from them as possible. Placed its Google Products Shopping results, its price-comparison site, constantly in the middle of the page, showing images of the products, which the other price-comparison sites can't do. Their search results come in all over the place, usually below Google Products and usually not on the first page of results.

3. - Now that up to the the first four positions for popular searches are ads, the organic search results have effectively been demoted. The loss of a few search positions can lose 30, 60, 75% of a sites number of vistors. To avoid the stink that this would have generated, Google came out with its Panda search algorithm which is supposed to be able to sniff out quality sites and demote rubbish sites, content farms, spammer sites and sites that copy their information from other sites (scraper sites). Many legitimate quality sites appeared to have been hit, but were really hit by the paid-for ad links coming in at the top. With Google now making most of its money from ads instead of from sites in the search results, it sent lower quality or lower-paying ads to the sites, losing them more income as a percentage of their income than their loss of visitors, making many quality sites non-viable. The Panda search algorithm is very inconsistent. It can actually return parked domains and sites that don't contain the search keywords at all and returns many very low quality "Made For AdSense" sites on the first page of search results. Anyone can put that to the test. If it were a quality-driven algorithm, so many very poor quality sites would not be returned. What the algorithm appears to be doing is returning different search results for every searcher based on the personal user profile that Google has built up from information harvested from all of its services (Gmail, YouTube, G+, etc.) and products (Chrome browser, Android phones, etc.) In short, it is returning the best search results for Google.

3. - Google has recently been caught bypassing the default security setting in Apple's Safari web browser used on iPhones and Microsoft's Internet Explore browser in order to obtain the personal search information of the users of those browsers. Owners of smartphones that use Google's Android operating system now have to log into their Google account in order to use the phone's aps and features, obviously for tracking purposes.

4. - Google was forced to punish its Chrome web browser for buying paid links, which it forbids websites that use its Adsense ad system from doing.

5. - Google is using its AdSense ad system to advertise its Chrome browser and its Chromebook Internet-only laptop on third party websites. Website owners can block any ads that they don't want appearing on their sites, such as the ads of competitors, but no one seems able to block the ads for Google's own products, such as the two just mentioned. If you block them, they just keep appearing because their precise origins cannot be determined. Yo have to know preceisely where an ad is coming from in order to block it.

6. - The ads that Google used to deliver to a particular website were based on the site's content (tech sites were delivered tech-related ads automatically, etc.) but now any kind of ad can appear on a site. The website owner can block up to a maximum of 50 advertisers in any number of categories. When that number is reached, the other categories are labelled "Too big to block". So, instead of allowing website owners to opt in to the limited categories of ads that their sites content covers, they are effectively forced to allow any category of ad to appear. This is clearly because every web searcher's search results are personal to that searcher, having been generated by that user's personal profile that Google has built up from the use of its services and products.

If you want to use a company that operates in this kind of unprincipled, subterranean way to enrich itself, become ever richer and lower standards ever more, do so. You will be to blame for ever-lowering standards that could quite conceivably end in the loss of the freedoms that previous generations paid for with their lives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Legge For This Useful Post:

mapletrail (2012-03-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoe View Post
    I now use ixquick to search. I have uninstalled all google products. I am slowly changing my preferred email on newsletters and other accounts to other than gmail.

I also use Firefox with Adblock Plus Extension. Facebook also tracks you web use to sites not Facebook. I use the Opera browser for Facebook and nothing else.

Every few days I delete cookies that have google or facebook in them.
    Having an android phone pretty much leaves you at the mercy of Google until your contract runs out, but somehow I don't think Apple is any less voracious in terms of information they keep about you and how you use their products. I am a new android user, though I immediately turned off and uninstalled as much as I could, even sometimes I wish I had stayed with my old flip phone, lol. I got my first spam text message ever a couple weeks ago, got in touch with my carrier and they recommended an app I find most useful, Mr. Number, which allows you to block numbers and a lot more. That is one of 2 apps I run on my phone.

I do have a nifty add on for FireFox that I'd not used before but really like, it comes in versions for other browsers as well, Do Not Track +. I like it better than No Script which seemed to get in my way more often than not.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by autobackup View Post
    I use iGoogle extensively as I like the on-screen gadgets it allows me to display - but would never personally use Google+ (or, for that matter, any other Social networking site like Facebook et al). If you are worried about Google's privacy policy and, in particular, are a Facebook user (or possibly a member of your family is a member using the same LAN and Internet gateway) you should really have a close look at Facebook's data collection and privacy policy - I strongly suspect that very few people actually realise just how intrusive (and comprehensive!) it is!

In 2001 I purchased and installed Muuray Hurps' Ad-Muncher (http://www.admuncher.com/ - when the licence included free updates for evcr) it has a been a purchase that i have never ever regretted as this excellentsoftware kills vitually every advert on the internet - including all Google adverts so I really don't care if Google 'targets' me personally with adverts as I will never see them.

So far with no compatibility issues whatsoever having moved it successivly from Win98 to Win Millenium to XP Pro to Win7 Ultimate 64 with nary a problem.

Since I purchased a licence Murray has changed the licencing policy so it is rather more expensive than it was but, to my mind, Ad-Muncher is worth every penny!
    I posted earlier that I use Do Not Track Plus - but I went to the link you provided and look what I found. 2 companies, 1 social network and 1 ad network tried to grab my information from that site itself. :^)

Do Not Track Plus Spread the word

[IMG]resource://dntp/images/on.png[/IMG]On at www.admuncher.com

1 social button tracking you:[COLOR=green !important]1 blocked[/COLOR]
    [IMG]resource://dntp/images/social.png[/IMG]

1 ad network tracking you: [COLOR=green !important]1 blocked[/COLOR]
    [IMG]resource://dntp/images/adnetworks.png[/IMG]

2 companies tracking you: [COLOR=green !important]2 blocked[/COLOR]
    [IMG]resource://dntp/images/trackers.png[/IMG]

Ingenious! Your all-time total is:
    2,859 blocked

Abine.com | the Online Privacy Company

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erniek View Post
    One way of trying to keep your personal info (reasonably) private when using Google is to delete the USER PROFILE and do away with Google+. Also ensure that you log out of your Google account as the info gathered is (supposedly) only gathered when you are logged into you account and a lot of folks never actually sign out. Another way is to start using another search engine. I have started using searchpage and this is based on Google.
    That's the first thing I did after scrutinizing the new policy. There was nothing much in my gmail user profile anyway, but that's a good place to start. Lots of good tips here from all of you, and I agree with another one - forget giving Google my phone number!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google evil? Probably not yet, who really knows. Google endlessly greedy and personally invasive? Anybody with a working brain knows that already! I had one helluva time getting my Facebook account closed because of their endless invasion of my privacy without permission. Still believing that "No Evil" Google BS, I thought I'd try Google+. Within a few days, and without ever asking my permission, they took the very private personal image that I had set up as my Google search page background and posted it for all the world to see! Needless to say, Google offers absolutely no way for me to remove this image from my account. Given this sort of personal abuse, my only option is to close the account, a work in progress. Well, at least I had the sense not to sign up for their "free" phone service. Google's new privacy policy clearly demonstrates the wisdom of that decision! I still use the outdated Firefox because of the many available plugins which attempt to protect you from Google's prying intrusions into your life on the web. Some script blockers are appearing for Chrome, but who knows if they only work for "third parties", but still allow Google unfettered access to your private data. I like Chrome, but I am withdrawing from it as the evidence mounts as to Google's relentless invasion of my privacy. Like the man said, "No Free Lunch."! Microsoft and Google are unwittingly becoming the biggest boosters of open source computing. It turns out that "Black Box" software is simply too much power to not abuse. Caveat emptor, you all!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoe View Post
    I now use ixquick to search. I have uninstalled all google products. I am slowly changing my preferred email on newsletters and other accounts to other than gmail.I also use Firefox with Adblock Plus Extension. Facebook also tracks you web use to sites not Facebook. I use the Opera browser for Facebook and nothing else. Every few days I delete cookies that have google or facebook in them.
    I gotta tell you I LOVE Ixquick. I've replaced Google search on all my browsers with it - their advanced version (https) is every bit as good as Googles. I even made it the default in Chrome, lol. I did try a FF addon called SocialFixer which was supposed to allow greater control over Facebook, and did, until an update came out and it quit working with FF 11.0.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234