Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Saw the recommendation on Ghacks this morning for Duck Duck Go. Has anyone tried it or know anything about it??

New Lounger
    Thanks

also concerned about Google: there is a reason.

It isn't just google users who should be concerned. If you send an email to someone with a google email account, this email is stored by google forever. If you sent something in the past or in the future to a Google mail user, even if they deleted it several years ago, google still has a copy. With the crazy laws like SOPA/PIPA and NDAA, statements made on a google account that may seem harmless at the time you made the comment could come back to haunt you. For example, a comment you made that criticises the Government could be seen by the Government as serious branding you a threat to national security and be detained under NDAA. Yes the Government can always gather information like this but Google makes it much easier. The YouTube videos that you watch could easily be used against you even if the videos you viewed were nothing that would concern the Government. It should also be noted that sites like Yahoo and Microsoft Hotmail are already doing this but I'm unsure if they are keeping archives of every email you send or receive. I personally don't like sharing personal information from emails, what I do online (sites I visit), and what I've searched for. Even if I'm doing nothing illegal my searches are on topics I would rather not sharing with anyone. There isn't really any privacy anymore. You can try other search engines such as duckduckgo.com and ixquick.com and use TOR (www.torproject.org) to give you some privacy.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another private Search Engine

Another private search engine can be found at https://www.ixquick.com/.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erniek View Post
    Another way is to start using another search engine. I have started using searchpage and this is based on Google.
    For some time I have used EveryClick <http://www.everyclick.com>, which gives money to charity. It is now based on Yahoo, and I find it good for most searches, although occasionally I do have to resort to Google.

I have tried to find a search engine called "searchpage" using both EveryClick and Google without success - could you post a link please, but if it is based on Google there is a good chance that Google still get your information.
    PFV

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I now use ixquick to search. I have uninstalled all google products. I am slowly changing my preferred email on newsletters and other accounts to other than gmail.

I also use Firefox with Adblock Plus Extension. Facebook also tracks you web use to sites not Facebook. I use the Opera browser for Facebook and nothing else.

Every few days I delete cookies that have google or facebook in them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LouisianaJoe For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2012-04-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Google Privacy Rules

mtonkin222,

While all you say is possible, it is highly unlikely that anything the average person transmits will be picked up by some sort of "sniffer". Lets face it, the government does have many things it has to worry about. We are mostly likely not on their target list.

But, for those of you who do have something to hide, please tell us what it is

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by footsportsdoc View Post
    My first post to the Lounge !

This is so simple. If you like Google products, then use them and stop worrying about the never ending list of things to worry about. Do I really think someone is zeroing in on my personal info to do harm? Nah. I am more worried about John Ashcroft in some 3rd subbasement somewhere, and what he is up to.

If we get all paranoid, the only answer is to disconnect from the grid. I'll tell you one thing, I am never going back to IE, except for those few-and-far-between requirements of some Websites. IE scares the crap out of me.

If I commit some horrendous crime, I deserve to be tracked, and so do the rest of you. Don't worry. Be happy!
    footsportsdoc,

You never have to use IE. Try Avant or Maxthon, instead. They will work anywhere (that I've found, at least) that IE is required. Both use the IE core engine, but are better, faster and more secure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphawave View Post
    You never have to use IE. Try Avant or Maxthon, instead. They will work anywhere (that I've found, at least) that IE is required. Both use the IE core engine, but are better, faster and more secure.
    What makes Avant or Maxthon more secure than IE9?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so how does all of this affect users whose cell phones run Android. Does anyone know if Google is constantly polling Android devices as well? If so, is there a way to keep Google out of your cell phone usage?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What Google is collecting is mostly anonymous information. What should worry more people is that PayPal, Amazon, and others store and keep ALL of the credit card information, including the 3 digit security code on the back of the card. It is unnecessary that they store the security code, but they do. I have had my credit card compromised by paypal , but never again.

Should someone hack into their database, the hacker could make charges on anyone's card whose info is stored. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z-rod View Post
    What should worry more people is that PayPal, Amazon, and others store and keep ALL of the credit card information, including the 3 digit security code on the back of the card. It is unnecessary that they store the security code, but they do.
    For security purposes, merchants are prohibited from storing this number. Visa Security Program: 3-digit security code

It's prohibited by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council Data Security Standard: PCI DSS Quick Reference Guide v2.0 PDF

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use iGoogle extensively as I like the on-screen gadgets it allows me to display - but would never personally use Google+ (or, for that matter, any other Social networking site like Facebook et al). If you are worried about Google's privacy policy and, in particular, are a Facebook user (or possibly a member of your family is a member using the same LAN and Internet gateway) you should really have a close look at Facebook's data collection and privacy policy - I strongly suspect that very few people actually realise just how intrusive (and comprehensive!) it is!

In 2001 I purchased and installed Muuray Hurps' Ad-Muncher (http://www.admuncher.com/ - when the licence included free updates for evcr) it has a been a purchase that i have never ever regretted as this excellentsoftware kills vitually every advert on the internet - including all Google adverts so I really don't care if Google 'targets' me personally with adverts as I will never see them.

So far with no compatibility issues whatsoever having moved it successivly from Win98 to Win Millenium to XP Pro to Win7 Ultimate 64 with nary a problem.

Since I purchased a licence Murray has changed the licencing policy so it is rather more expensive than it was but, to my mind, Ad-Muncher is worth every penny!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What Google is collecting is mostly anonymous information. What should worry more people is that PayPal, Amazon, and others store and keep ALL of the credit card information, including the 3 digit security code on the back of the card. It is unnecessary that they store the security code, but they do. I have had my credit card compromised by paypal , but never again.

Should someone hack into their database, the hacker could make charges on anyone's card whose info is stored. Shame, Shame, Shame.
    You do make a great point but it sounds like google will have these search results tied to an identifiable account. Several years ago, America Online had search results leaked but it didn't have personally identifiable information such as an account associated with the searches. I personally don't like the idea that Amazon, Paypal and other sites will keep your credit card on file and all someone has to do is know your username and password to make an unauthorized charge to your credit card and wish I could opt out. Unfortunately we can only trust that sites will protect our information. We trust that our bank encrypts the backups they make of our accounts just in case someone manages to steal the backups. Whether it is a bank, a local merchant, or an online merchant, we can only trust that they protect our information by encrypting backups, keeping our information such as credit card numbers safe from hackers and others who are not authorized to obtain this information, and shredding documents that contain information such as our social security number or credit card number before throwing the documents away.

Thanks
    pfvincent (and everyone else)
    Please forgive me I should have startpage follow the link and set your preferences and they guarantee privacy. Once agin forgive my slovenly actions. I should have double checked my post

https://startpage.com/eng/

ErnieK

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erniek For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-02-08),pfvincent (2012-02-03)

Thanks

I do not know about paypal but with\in Amazon you can remove any credit card. See this link on how to do so:
    https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdu...g-Credit-Cards

If you want to be extra sure that in the [unlikely] event of Amazon getting hacked you can make an order setup a credit card and then after payment is confirmed you can go back and delete\remove the card once again
    ErnieK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast