Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Is it my system, my mouse, or me

Hi all

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try again and hopefully give you some info so I can get some help. Usually up to date but haven't been keeping up as well as I should. I have a year old Compaq Presario CQ62-214NR with me in Honduras with a Microsoft wireless mouse 4000. It has Windows 7 and IE9 and using windows defender.
    When I try to move the sliders in some programs or IE it will just slide back to the top. This happens with the volume control, my favorites in IE, my setting in IE OPtions and occassionally in my phtos and a couple other places but don't recall off the top of my head. Even if I use the touch pad I still get the same results and it doesent matter if i click down or drag down it will just move for a second and slide back to the top or left.
    Then there is the mouse, it's scroll wheel and the back button dont work. That seems to have started at the same time so I thought it might have something to do with the mouse except a third problem came along.
    Again about the same time where 50% of the time connecting to the internet for my mail or IE i get the DNS server not responding. Since this is my lifeline to family and employer/partners I really need it to work better. If you could help me out or give me some Ideas I would be very greatful. Thanks in advance
    Jeff

Thanks
    Have you tried to run AV and/or AM apps. I would try MalwareBytes Antimalware along with a good complete AV scan. Do these scans in safe mode.

Windows Defender is a simple AM app, but not a true AV app. What do you use for AV?

Is this a recent problem? If so a System Restore to before the problem started may help. I suspect you do not have a handy Image with you. I do not suspect a hardware or driver fault since you have multiple devices doing the same thing (mouse and touchpad) I suppose you could try new drivers for each. The touchpad drivers should be available at the PC manufacturer's site and the Mouse drivers from MS.

Perhaps a Win 7 Repair Install would help. Do you have the installation disk or a repair disk with you? If not you could download the Win 7 iso file from Digital River (be sure to choose the correct version for your key), burn the iso file to dvd (right click the file and follow directions) then use this DVD along with your original key to do the repair install. If all else fails a reinstall of Win 7 should work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Ted said windows defender is not an AV program. You could download Microsoft Security Essentials (free) which will replace the windows defender part then do a full scan once installed.

You could also open an administrator command prompt and enter sfc/scannow. This will check for any corrupt system files and try to repair them.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-30 at 09:20.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted
    How do you manage to send links with a description instead of the full URL?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted

For my av I use avast which I keep updated. One of the things about avast I like is it updates automatically every day and sometimes more than once a day. I have used the Norton on line scan to double check and both come back clean. I will try MalwareBytes and a safe mode scan with avast.

This problem is fairly recent, less than a month because I went home to the US over the Christmas/New Year holidays and it was working fine. I will check the system restore and see if I have one that goes back to that time but have system restore pretty tightly reined in so as not to use up a lot of space. I do not have an image with me. I will check for drivers but I believe they are up to date.

The laptop did not come with a disk although there is a recovery drive d: on the hard drive. I may have to burn it to a dvd to use it but haven't looked in to it and will have to pick up a couple dvds at the store today to do so. Also guess I should do a serious backup in case something goes bad. By original key I believe you are talking about key # on the sticker they attach to the laptop?

Thanks again for your help and I will post back as I work my way through this problem.

Jeff

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Couriousclive
    Thanks for the idea of the file check/scan, will try that also. Although I didn't note it in my post I am running avast and I am really very satisfied with it. That could change if something did slip by but have been using it for a few years without problems.

As I replied to Ted I will work my way through the ideas and post the results for everyone to see.

Jeff

Thanks
    Clive, Highlight the words you want to Hyperlink, then use the world looking icon and paste the address in as indicated.

Hyperlink.jpg

Edit: I find this quicker than the BB Code for this simple task. A couple of the other forums I check use the BB Code. If you switch to the Standard Editor rather than the Enhanced Editor you will actually see the BB Code listed even when you use the method I outlined.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-29 at 07:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2012-01-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Hi Ted
    See Ted's post or see the "Creating Links" section at BBcode guide.

Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2012-01-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have ran MalwareBytes anti malware and avast in safe mode and both say nothing found. Checked drivers for mouse and touch pad and both are most recent, am also doing an online check at HP for any other drivers and Bios updates. While trying to get to safe mode there is a drive with restore and I found I can get a dvd from hp but would have to send it to my house cause Honduras doesnt have mail service like the states and someone will bring it down with them when they visit. My next step is going to do the file check

Again thanks for the help

Thanks
    The HP Recovery disk should take it back to factory condition. It appears that pressing F11 during boot should allow the HP to boot to the Recovery Partition you said you found. If this is the case you might be able to use this Recovery partition to restore your PC to factory.

Personally I used the iso file (clean Win 7 w/o all the HP fluff) instead of the Recovery partition as I did not want all that extra useless junk on my PC (mine is Sony not HP, but they put the same sort of useless fluff on as well) Never looked back. PC works faster wothout all the fluff the manufacturer installed. This then allowed me to add the space holding the Recovery partition back into my C Drive using Partition Wizard to first delete the Recovery partition , then expanding the C Drive to include this drive. The Win 7 partition tool (Disk Manager) can recover unallocated space behind the C Drive, but not in front of the C Drive since this involves moving the data on the C Drive to the front of the newly expanded C Drive. For this you need a 3rd party partitioning app such as the aforementioned Partition Wizard or the EaseUS Partition Magic. Either work very well for this task.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-29 at 07:21.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted.
    This is an old question but I have not saved nor found a reference to it. A niece has this mouse problem that is jerky and not responsive. The pad is smooth and uniform in colour, It is wireless, the driver was verified and proper. Do I remember well that this is a virus, maybe ? Today, I will ask her to run AntiMalware and this might fix it. I do not have all the specs here yet on her machine/OS etc. What do you think ? Have a great day. JP.

Thanks
    If no malware is found, and the mouse drivers is correct and up to date, it is possible the mouse is going bad. Mice are not the highest quality part in your PC. I might try a different mouse to see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, goood morning.
    Many thanks for your reply. This niece is +/- 300 miles away and I do not see her machine. I will pass this advice to her, I had thought of it yesterday but got busy. She did not even say if she had an IR mouse, WL or tethered.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Hi Ted
    See how easy it is Clive. And looks nice as well.

Sorry for being slightly off topic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast