Thanks

Porting windows XP from hard drive to SSD

I brought a new SSD to use as my replace an old hard drive, which contained my boot drive and a couple of other partitions.

I installed the SSD, built the partition structure I wanted and formated the new drives. I made the first partition PRIMARY and ACTIVE. I then restored an image of my C: drive from the hard disk onto the active partition on the SSD using Acronis True Image 2012.

I shut down the computer, disconnected the old hard drive, then booted into the BIOS and set the boot order so the SSD was the first hard drive.

I then tried to boot. But it didn't work. I get this message:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I inserted my WinXP disk but I don't want to install a new system. So I went to the Recovery Console and did a FIXBOOT and FIXMBR command on the SSD partition that contains the restored Windows version.

Rebooted but get the same message again!

Any ideas on what to do to make the SSD partition bootable Or why the machine is not booting from the SSD?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Instead of imaging, try cloning. You may also need to set the controller from IDE to AHCI from in the BIOS
    Once you get the drive cloned, remove the old mechanical drive and reattempt to boot with the SSD.Once you get the drive up and running don't forget about installing TRIM support.
    The possible reasons for the failure may be due in part, by attempting to create partitions and image based restore on a new drive.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-28 at 05:23.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

ibe98765 (2012-01-28)

Thanks
    Depending on your motherboard and the age of your system, you may need to get a BIOS update and a Chipset Utility Drivers update as well.

After you get Windows XP up and running there are some adjustments within XP that you will have to do manually. Windows 7 takes care of these for you, but XP does not. Check TweakHound's Blog SSD Tweak Guide for a listing of services that need to be disabled in XP.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

ibe98765 (2012-01-28)

Thanks
    The BIOS sees the SSD drive w/o problems. I can also read/write all the files in the partitions on the SSD from Windows. I am using one of the SSD logical drive partitions full time now.

The mobo I have was once a high-end deal but the company is now out of business. So there isn't a new BIOS available and I have updated the I/O drivers from what the manufacturers release.

I've tried to enable AHCI in the past. I spent much time working on this and despite hours and hours of investment, it didn't work for me.

I am unsure what cloning would change, but I might try it since I don't have anything else left to try.

Thanks
    OK, got it working. Cloning solved the problem.

I discovered that Acronis TIH 2012 only supports complete hard drive cloning, NOT partition cloning. So after cloning the old hard drive to the SSD, the partitions and data got blown away (and would have to be redone), but I was able to boot into Windows XP.

I did the repartitioning using Easeus Partition Master Pro. While in this program I see that the C: MBR is marked as invalid after the cloning but it still works [shrug]. This program was one of those give-away-of-the-day freebies that was supposed to be the "Pro" version but it isn't really as some function is missing, such as the ability to change drive letters (at least on my system).

Thanks.