Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7-64 boot problem

Hello folks,
    For almost a year now, I've had a Win 7-64 boot problem.
    When I start the pc, it will "hang" at the "Windows Starting" screen. I wait about two minutes and restart, Win loads fine. If I have to restart during the day, all is well. This just happens after pc has been shut down overnight.

Here's what I have done to no avail.

Flashed Bios
    Repair Install
    scannow with no problems
    disconnected all my usb devices to no avail
    chkdsk /r - no problems
    memtest - no problems
    started pc with "clean boot" checked in msconfig - same problem
    will not boot to "safe-mode" after being shut down overnight (first boot up)
    Have taken cpu back to standard speed, no overclock, same problem.

I'm just lost as to where to go next. This is annoying, but I can boot the second time fine after pc sets show "windows starting" for about 2 minutes min.
    It's like on the first boot something is not being loaded in time???

I'm running an EVGA 790i, Intel 9550 (oc'd to 3.6), 8 gig 1600 ram, no oc'., Evga 570 Classified GPU, water cooling, 1000w PSU.

Your additional thoughts or resolutions to this problem would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Thanks
    Most likely you have a service that is trying to load and timing out. The reboot works because the service parameters are probably set to do nothing after a second failure. If you do a cold reboot (that is, shut down completely, wait at least a minute, then restart), it will probably fail to boot.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any USB storage devices attached? I had a similar problem and found that in my BIOS there is a setting referring to "USB storage" (I can't remember the exact setting description) that was enabled by default. It basically tells the BIOS to search for a bootable USB device. When I disabled this setting my boot pause went away. If you should need to boot to a USB device then just enable it again.

Windows should detect any USB devices once it is "in control".

Thanks
    Tom,

Have you put a power supply tester on this machine? It sounds a little like the PSU isn't getting up to specs fast enough to boot properly from a cold start and why you have no problems on restarting the machine. Just another thing you may want to try.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello folks,
    Thanks so very much for your replies.

bbearren - it does sound like a service is trying to load and timing out, however, if this was the case, would it still present the same issue even when
    I've had it to cold boot in "clean boot mode"?

DavidnNC - I've disconnected all USB devices and have no USB storage devices attached. I'll check the bios and if it's enabled, I will disable it and see.

RetiredGeek - I have NOT tested the power supply. Does make sense that it's not getting up to specs. Any thread in how to test the psu? I have a
    volt tester - I do not have another psu to try it.

Again, thanks for new thoughts.
    cthiggin

Thanks
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I've seen reports of hanging at that screen if you have a Sata drive in AHCI mode with a bad driver. Setting it to IDE mode in the BIOS fixes it.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek - From what I have read, it states that using a vom meter as well as a power supply tester, it doesn't give accurate readings because there is no load on psu?
    Is this true or is there a way of testing under load (I would assume you would just use you vom probes in the various connector spots?)
    I think this is sure worth a troubleshooting try. Thanks

jwitalka - I looked in my bios and I show one line with ACHI - it's now enabled - IS this the area you are referring to and to "disable" it?

Thanks so very much fellows for your continued thoughts. Have a blessed one. chiggin

Thanks
    See if there's an option there for ide mode. If only disable, try it, you can always set it back to ahci if it doesn't work.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwitalka,
    I just went into bios and mine said APIC Mode - something about irq controllers...I disabled it and the pc would boot but loop and restart. I set it back to "enable" and
    all is well.
    I did not is anything in bios for ide mode. Main screen shows that there are no IDE devices, only sata. But nowhere do I see an option for ide mode?

Any other ideas? Thanks, cthiggin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, UPDATE
    I went back in bios and on the main screen, it show none for the IDE and of course showed the sata drives. However, I was able to click on the ide "none" area
    and it opened up a screen and showed detection was on AUTO... I changed to NONE - did this on IDE 2 also. PC booted right up.
    I will shut down tonight and see if it will fire up in the am. That's where my problem has always been. AFTER being shutdown overnight, it just hangs at the Windows Startup Screen. Then after a few minutes, I can restart and it boots fine. Thanks again. cthiggin

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    cthiggin, hello, sorry to chime in while others are also giving suggestions.

It sounds like power/motherboard/hard drive(s). I assume the drive is mechanical, rather than SSD. Is the hard drive old? Could it be having some spinning up issues? If it has been running during the day, you may have a low temperature issue: The drive may have been spun up just an hour or two previously, so still have a little latent warmth. Overnight it will be at ambient, which may be pretty cold at this time of year and may prevent the drive spinning up correctly.

Couple of things to check there: Look in the Event Viewer under System, for NTFS or Disk errors - despite chkdsk /r being clean, there may be timeouts accessing info on the disk which chkdsk would not find. If there are no BSOD's then it's unlikely to be motherboard, but might still be PSU. So, you could burn a Linux CD, or use your Windows installation CD and perform a cold boot off it first thing in the morning. If the machine boots and runs OK off the CD, then you are pretty much left with the HD. Personally, I would try a Linux CD, that way you can also stress test after the cold boot to verify no motherboard issues.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Tinto Tech,
    I live in the south and this problem has been happening for almost a year, consistently, where my pc's environment (first thing in the mornings) is anywhere from 78 degrees F in the summer down to 70 degrees in the winter.
    My drives(s) are VRaptors, about 18 months of age. My second drive is a "clone" of C: for safety reasons. Both drives demonstrate the very same problem with boot up in the mornings or after overnight shutdown. I have no BSOD's, period with this problem.
    I looked in Event Viewer and it only showed services that did not load at the initial boot up. No NTFS or Disk errors were identified.

I'm not aware at this point about the Linux CD. (I've tried the Win install disk - it goes to the area for repair etc / last restore point etc)
    Where and how do I go about getting the Linux CD to do a cold boot??

I'll try the Linux CD first, then trouble shoot the PSU - I'm still concerned from above thread that from what I have read, the psu test with a vom will not be
    accurate test since the psu is not under load?

Thanks so much for your continued help. cthiggin

Thanks
    Sata IDE mode is in the integrated peripherals section of my motherboard BIOS

BIOS.JPG

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Oh, I see...both drives exhibit the same problem after a boot up from overnight. That changes things a little.

Hold fire on the Linux CD for now, it probably wont show anything if you can sucessfully boot from the Windows disk and two hard drives are showing the same behaviour (if you wanted to download one for future use, you could try Ubuntu).

It must be common to both: motherboard, RAM or PSU. You have run memory tests which appear to rule out a problem with the RAM. You are left with PSU or motherboard.

I agree that testing a PSU without a load may not illustrate correct behaviour, but it's still worthwhile as it may show something. Also, try test it while in situ on the first boot of the day. Lastly, if the PC consistently boots after a couple of minutes, you could measure the power rails on the motherboard during that time.

If the PSU looks clean then you are down to the motherboard (and BIOS).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast