New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Gateway not booting at all

Hi, I have a gateway pc, its preety old bbut worked perfetly.....until now. it all started when it got a virus, i started getting blu screens and it frozze. But then one day when I turned it on it would just show me the gateway screen that ussually apears after pressing the power button. But it was there for 30 minutes the i turned it off. So now i have to use my sisters laptop. I need a way to fix it, I dont have my operating systems and i dont know how to get them(usb vista home basic would be good) but i dont care about the contents of the hard drive i just need to get my pc working again.

I hope one of you can help me, thanks you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The answer may lie in how old is "Pretty Old" ?

Gateway PC's are made with the same parts, for the most part, as other (low cost) PC's, including capacitors that, bulge, leak and can even explode and CMOS batteries that can go bad after four years or so.

You didn't really say that you have a desktop PC but I'm just guessing.

If so, open it up and look for bulging capacitors on the motherboard, next to the Processor Chip. (CPU)
    Then if you can, take out the coin-type CMOS battery, a CR-2032 Lithium battery and if you don't have a volt-
    meter to check it with, just replace it with a new one.

When you restart your PC after a battery change, you need to press the correct key during boot-up to get into the Setup screen, where you can reset the date and time. The bios will set up the rest.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

i dont think so

I do have a desktop and nope its not the battery, it boots the bios when pressing f2 and it was made for xp so its not that old, i just need to find a way to install windows.

Thanks
    For purposes of reinstallation:
    Check your documentation or visit Gateway's site for specifics when in comes to reinstalling Windows on your specific make and model.
    Or give us the exact make and model number of your computer and we can look for you.

Thanks
    "Not that old"!!! XP has been released to PC manufacturers since August 24th, 2001!!! That would be very old in PC years. Heck, it's been almost 2 1/2 years since Win 7 hit RTM. There are many sites to assist with the reinstallation of Win XP. I would definitely replace the battery. These are not made to last forever. I recently had to replace the battery on my approx. 7 year old Dell desktop. Mine was also ble to boot to the Bios screen and was still getting intermittent problems. In fact it started advising me of the need for a new battery. These batteries are about $5 or less.

I would also open the box (as DrWho advised) and look around. Clean out all the "dust bunnies" and accumulated crud. It doesn't matter how clean the environment, crud still builds up over time, even in a clean room environment. Clean the cooling fans and fins on heat sinks. Make sure the case cooling holes are clean. I would also reseat ALL connections (connectors and boards) possibly with the exception of the CPU.

If you do not have your OS disks, perhaps you could borrow a friends disk (you would need the same version as your original key) This borrowed disk and your original key would suffice to reinstall Win XP. If you can't find your original key and/or borrow a disk, you might be out of luck unless Gateway can walk you through a recovery operation (assuming there is a recovery partition) or supply you with new disks.

Short of the above, you might have to purchase a new OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy