Lounger
    Thanks

Should I have privacy concerns with Hotmail and Gmail? If so, what to do?

I do not want to be part of a social network, or to give personal information to Microsoft or Google for them to use to tailor search results and do whatever else they want. On the other hand, I appreciate the sophisticated security and spam filtering of their web mail services. I want to be able to keep my email address regardless of which ISP I use, and to be able to access email via the web.

Am I being paranoid about the increasing integration of services by Microsoft and Google? I see many Loungers using Hotmail for business, so maybe I shouldn't worry. On the other hand, Google is still a very mysterious company, despite having gone public. I am annoyed that they plan to sign up new Gmail users to Google+. I have enough enterprising Nigerians finding me without the help of social networking.

If I do go to a paid service, what do you recommend? I've seen discussions in the Lounge of client software, but not of mail service providers.

I am a Windows user. My current computer is 64-bit Vista.

Thank you for your advice.

Judy M

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    I do not want to be part of a social network, or to give personal information to Microsoft or Google for them to use to tailor search results and do whatever else they want. On the other hand, I appreciate the sophisticated security and spam filtering of their web mail services. I want to be able to keep my email address regardless of which ISP I use, and to be able to access email via the web.
    "JM"
    Hello...I'm not sure if this will help you keeping "private" ...but "it couldn't hurt" StartPage Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    The peronalized ads on Hotmail don't bother me as I ignore them anyway but you can manage what Microsoft does on their privacy page . Look under the Your Choices paragraph. Also look at your account privacy settings. I've used Hotmail for years for my spare email for use with on line activity and see about 8 junk emails a day. I believe they come from my internet activity - not from Microsoft. Live mail (Hotmail) junk filters catch 99% of it. I firmly believe you should have one main Email account for your personal email and at least one other email account for case you suspect you may get spammed. (On line purchases, web site signups, etc.).

Jerry

Thanks
    DuckDuckGo for searches, for webmail (I use Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and GMX), use a browser with privacy plugins such as Ghostery