New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 removal

I just got a new computer with Windows 7. How can I remove this and install XP? I really do not want to reinstall all my many software programs so that I can use them. Thanks much Barbara

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happylady View Post
    I just got a new computer with Windows 7. How can I remove this and install XP? I really do not want to reinstall all my many software programs so that I can use them. Thanks much Barbara
    Happy,
    Hello.... We are going to need more information....

1. Do you have a XP Installation Disk, with activation Key?

2. Would you possibly want to Dual boot XP and "7"

3. The programs that you "don't want to reinstall"....Where are they ? On the "7" PC or the XP?

4. Is your XP ( home , Pro etc. ) patched, and at what level ?

5. Do you have a Full Image made of your XP machine?

This will do as a start before anyone can make a sensible recommendation. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    To add to Fred's list of questions:
    6. What is the make/model of the new computer? (so that we can check whether there are XP drivers for it)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the edition of Windows 7 may also be relevant, i.e. Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate:

OEM Versions of Windows 7 Eligible for Downgrade

Only certain OEM versions of Windows 7 include downgrade rights:
    • Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate.
    • Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition.
    • Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for instance, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.
    Understanding Downgrade Rights

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Yes

2. That would be alright too.

3. They are all installed on XP Pro

4. Home SP2

5. Don't understand full image.

My husband added all my drives to the new computer. I can see them and open the drives by cannot open programs. Get an error message 6 from Adobe.

Thank you Fred. I don't use internet at home (slooowww dial up connection. Don't ask.) So I will come back here tomorrow. As I am done for the day. I'll just go home and play mahjonn and spider. Barbara

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy,

There are several ways to proceed ...I'll give you a "thumb nail" ...and then you can decide how to proceed ..First a few more questions .

1. On you "7" PC do you have one Hard Drive? ...if so is it only one partition?

2. You call "XP" Pro, then say "home" SP-2...Which one?

3. A Image is snapshot of you entire PC..... Everything the Basic OS with all programs files folders pictures etc. With Imaging ( there are free and pay for programs for this) can transfer all of your XP to the new "7" Hard Drive ..Requires a few more steps, but would have all your XP programs. Might involve a phone call to MS to activate ....50\50 chance ...no big deal either way.

4. I don't know what "added all my drives to the new computer" means... please explain.

5. If you want to "Dual boot" this will involve a few more things , but it's a way many use to "Transcend" from XP to "7" .."kinda fun"....well for me anyway. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)