Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Help, trying to do no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall

Hi, first off, I have a Gateway Desktop. It came with Vista and the upgrade disc's. I have an ISO for Windows 7. I tried to follow the steps but when I got to the install part after checking for upgrades it gave me the error message that I would have to perform an upgrade install. So, I wwent back in and uninstalled the spk1. that took forever. Mean while I read where someone said to turn off all Windows features. So, I did that.Now it is rebooting.

Not sure what's going to happen here.... I wanted to install the Windows Professional as I have a license for it. I have SQL installed but not all of it... don't know if that's a problem... Do I have to run setup from the run as administrator do you think that's the problem.

Update, when it shut down now before it will come back up it looks like it is configuring the service pack and not allowing for the uninstalling of it. I am going to try and boot from disc and do it that way....

Update, Okay, It won't work to boot from disc and I just tried to start it again and it won't allow this, it wants me to use Windows Anytime Upgrade???? Is that because this came from Vista originally?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Beachin; 2012-01-30 at 17:30.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would try to download the iso file again (Some have been know to get corrupted during the download), and burn the iso to disk. Then insert the disk and do a custom (clean) install. Your system appears to have been upgraded once too often (I suspect you did an upgrade install from Vista to Win 7 originally). I have heard of way more problems with the upgrade install rather than the Custom install. Many will say the upgrade install worked fine for them, but many more will say they had unexpected problems or things just do not seem to be working as expected. The upgrade install can and will carry o er any problems in the old OS into the new OS. This is just asking for problems IMHO.

You may have to format the HD before installing the new OS. Just do a Google search for "Format HD prior to installing Windows 7".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jshiii (2012-02-26)

Thanks
    Great, not what I wanted to hear. But thanks for replying.

Thanks
    Sorry, you often do not hear of these problems ahead of time. In my experience, installing a new OS you are just better off starting from scratch. This will leave a pristine installation. This also gives you the opportunity to upgrade any apps you use. Often we do not apply upgrades because what we have seems to be working ok, even though the newer versions work better or have more features. Use this as an opportunity to clean everything up and run the fastest OS possible.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jshiii (2012-02-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Have you managed to uninstall SP1?

Thanks
    Rui, It sounds as though the PC won't even boot from disk at this point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ted, not booting from disc is pretty weird, but booting from disc is not needed for a repair install. Also not booting from disc does not result from a windows issue, it may be a bios config issue or a hardware issue, but I would still try the repair install, even as a last attempt.

Thanks
    A repair install might be useful in some cases. I am not sure if it will help here, but I suppose it's worth trying. This PC sounds like it's really fudged up. Beachin the repair install is worth a try. It should not take too long and may help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

Restore old backup and get password back????

I was thinking, I have an older backup from windows that doesn't have the corrupt files in them. Couldn't I just restore it and then add back my current documents and data that I have also backup up with Easeus in disc and partitian. I know I can go in and choose which pieces of that to restore...

I just need to figure out what my old password was, that's what started all this. Locking myself out and trying to use the systems administrator to change my password. I missed a step and everything got locked.... Can you direct me to the easiest way to get my password back????

Thanks
    My computer boots up fine. It also boots from disc.....
    I just have corrupt files. And Microsoft was suppose to help me but didn't and so then more things were downloaded and there are just files that are locked and my old admin password is lost. I went to reset the password through the magnifier by using the Systems installed Administrator. The page that I printed the instructions on did not all make it. One page fell behind my desk. It was the page that told me one of the last steps to make it work. When I missed that I ended up with locked files and weird things like it was telling me I was logging in under a different name then I was. I dont' get that error message anymore....

Thanks
    What I need back is my old files. The repair won't fix the things that are wrong. I have been using the computer fine since it happened. Just that it is getting buggier and buggier and it's stressing it out..

Thanks
    I'll explain a little more, shortly after the password mishap I got an update from Microsoft that gave me the BSOD on two of my computers. When that happened I could not get my laptop to boot back up and it wanted to reinstall windows so it asked me for an external drive to backup first. It's in Vista. Well, it blocked my extexternal drive with all my good backup from my desktop on it.

That is why I don't have a good backup to just restore...

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems to me that the repair could restore Windows to a pristine state, while keeping your existing data. If that is what you need, I don't know. If you have no backup up restore, and the reinstall is not the option, then do as Ted suggested and clean install Windows.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    FWIW,

This thread is a continuation of a thread begun on the EaseUS Todo Backup Forum, which may offer more insight into the "state of things."
    http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.ph...p=46064#p46064

Zig

Thanks
    If you have a legitimate key for Windows 7 Professional, you can simply use that key for the "Anytime Upgrade" feature. The files for the upgrade are already on your hard drive, just disabled. The Pro key will unlock the files and perform the upgrade, all from files already on your hard drive.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast