New Lounger
    Thanks

post boot alarm on netbook

Dell Mini1011 netbook. At power on the inventory screen (memory,ide drives, sata drives,etc.) shows normally then the screen blanks and a loud beeping noise starts that continuse until the Windows XP splash screen at which point the noise stops. Windows finishes loading and operates normally after that. Sometimes on a post program install reboot the noise doesn't occur but usually it does on every boot and reboot. When I got this netbook from my grandson to try to repair, it was loaded with malware, trojans, browser redirects, etc., Also it had sticky keys enabled. After running Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and DrCurit, It lost the file associations, and other system functions, so I reinstalled XP from a USB stick (no CD on the netbook). There may be a keyboard problem as the shift keys sometimes don't work. Windows is working fine. I am doing all the updates at the moment. Just now after a reboot, I got a 2-3 sec. beep at the Welcome screen as well as the usual long 5-10 second beep at boot. It has the latest bios from Dell but I don't see any options there that might help. There doesn't seem to be a fan in the system. I removed the keyboard, blew it out and carefull reinstalled it. No improvement. I would suspect overheating but it happens after being turned off overnight also.
    Has anyone in the Lounge had experience with anything like this? I'm out of ideas. I will probably just return it to my grandson this way. He mainly uses it for network access.

Bob Crane

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a quick followup. I have discovered that pressing F2 while the POST screen is visibile will avoid the noise. It won't stop the noise once it has started. If I press F2 before the boot screen I go into the BIOS setup. Could this have been a security program that persisted through the reinstall of Windows?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That beep usually means a hardware issue. At that time, Windows hasn't even started to load, so there is no way Windows can be involved.
    Are you able to go into the BIOS and take a look to see if there is any info that may be useful?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cranerw3156 (2012-01-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. The noise does sound like what is heard when you boot up after replacing card or hdd and you have'nt connected everything right. Also as I was installing windows updates, sometimes the window asking where to save or install a file will start to fill spontaneously with periods and when I delete them with the backspace key the periods delete untill there is only one left then on deleting the last one the space immediately refills with periods again.
    In answer to your question about the BIOS I didn't find any thing usefull there. Of course there are almost no options offered by this Dell mini bios.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your last description makes it sound like a keyboard issue. Can the period key be stuck? Weird.

Thanks
    Can you carefully pop the key off the period to see if the underlying device is truly stuck down? If you have a stuck key it is hard to say exactly what might happen upon boot. You could very well get all sorts of unusual activity and noises.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy