New Lounger
    Thanks

PC goes to 'sleep' but won't shut down

HP Pavilion
    Windows7 32bit

For a few months now, my laptop (LT) has stopped shutting down. When I shut down, using Win or the keyboard, my LT will go through the regular motions for shutdown, and it thinks it has, but the lights of the keyboard shortcuts (speaker - +, etc) are still lighted. Once my hand touched a shortcut for WMP, and walla! the computer began whirring and was alive with that ap.
    So I have ventured to pull out the power. Well, the fan starts off incessantly, until the battery runs out. When travelling with my LT, I now have to take the battery out and then replace it later, and set time again.
    I searched online for an answer, and found others LTs that are suffering this symptom. No answer though. They have tried to re-install BIOS, or Win7, with no success.
    Any help is welcome, since now my option seems to simply buy a new LT.

Thanks
    How old is the PC? This sounds like a hardware issue. You should never have to pull the plug and battery. There could be a short in the PS, who knows, but this should be looked at by a pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alpi View Post
    HP Pavilion
    Windows7 32bit

For a few months now, my laptop (LT) has stopped shutting down. When I shut down, using Win or the keyboard, my LT will go through the regular motions for shutdown, and it thinks it has, but the lights of the keyboard shortcuts (speaker - +, etc) are still lighted. Once my hand touched a shortcut for WMP, and walla! the computer began whirring and was alive with that ap.

Any help is welcome, since now my option seems to simply buy a new LT.
    alpi,
    Hello...Just a outside chance ...Check .....Control Panel>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Power Options...See screenshot Regards Fred

PS: Also check if you have "Hibernate enabled" Hibernate
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-30 at 20:42.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)