New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer slow as molasses.

I have a computer less than a year old, Win 7 64 bit, 4 gb RAM, lots of HD. Everything is nice and fast except Windows Explorer which has gotten slower and slower opening folders. Any suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

On the first site you recommended, I tried everything: checkdisk & re-boot; hard drive is automatically defragmented weekly; MSE is on all the time, and McAfee does a scan weekly and comes up clean. After reboot, opened the most troublesome file, which is my Downloads file (26 items, little size) and it took 10 seconds or more while the green ribbon progressed across the top of the screen. I mention the Downloads file because it is sort of an indicator of how Explorer is working. After that initial slowdown, any time I go back to the Download file it opens like a shot. So, until I have worked with some files, I won't know if the problem is fixed or not. Will get back to you in a day or two.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crawg View Post
    On the first site you recommended, I tried everything: checkdisk & re-boot; hard drive is automatically defragmented weekly; MSE is on all the time, and McAfee does a scan weekly and comes up clean. After reboot, opened the most troublesome file, which is my Downloads file (26 items, little size) and it took 10 seconds or more while the green ribbon progressed across the top of the screen. I mention the Downloads file because it is sort of an indicator of how Explorer is working. After that initial slowdown, any time I go back to the Download file it opens like a shot. So, until I have worked with some files, I won't know if the problem is fixed or not. Will get back to you in a day or two.
    This is troubling, MSE is probably superior in detection rates to McAfee and is much lighter on resources. Are you sure that McAfee isn't active outside of it's weekly scan? Having 2 active A/V's is asking for slowdowns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Windows Explorer

Good point. I uninstalled McAfee Security Scan and rebooted, and it took Explorer 15 seconds to open my Download folder. Once it has opened it, next time I go back to it it is fast, but sometimes when moving photos around it gets balky.
    Don't know if it has anything to do with the problem, but often when deleting or moving a file from a folder it still appears in the original folder, although the file is not there. Makes it a pain when moving photos as I don't know which ones I have already deleted or moved.

Thanks
    Here is something else that may help if Windows Explorer is sluggish when attempting to access another internal
    drives of 1 TB size or greater;

Untitled.jpg
    Uncheck: "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing" on the device.
    This will be checked by default in Windows 7.

This applies specifically to Windows 7, but one may see results in other Windows based operating systems as well if the option is present.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-02-16 at 00:07.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Let us know if you ever find a cure that makes access as fast as XP. While mine aren't terribly slow, they are slower than XP and Win7 has the habit of checking explorer/file content settings too often. Just try rebooting or temporarily disconnecting a network location with explorer windows open on that location and Win 7 throws up almost instantaneous error messages about not being in contact with the network location and then when I do copy a file over to a slow device like an mp3 player or other small flash drive, it checks that device too often relative to the read speed it is capable of so there are more delays in writing the next file to the device, which is really bad because the device is already dead slow at normal speed.

It seems to be a hyper-activity problem, I know Win7 explorer is trying to help but in doing so its getting more in the way.

Another thing I've noticed is that Win7 spins down drives very quickly by default, so there can be a delay of up to 10 seconds or so before explorer can even check the contents as the drive has to spin up...and it seems to spin all drives up, not just the one being checked, so changing the spin down time on the drives to something that would keep them spinning most of the time while you're working with them would help at least that much.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2012-02-15 at 12:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @Infinicore - power down time for internal drives is set & controlled in your power options. Power down time for external drives is almost always set in the drive. For an external drive you have to try to find software that allows you access to the setting.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably true for the externals now-a-days...most of mine (all but a couple) do not self-regulate and I think most if not all of the Buffaloes I have have a on and auto switch position for that...might be why I have so many (before I got into the more portable mini drives with USB3 connections). I think it was just because I liked the look of the Buffaloes though and not because they have that three position switch.