4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing an old server from the network

Hi all,

I have a very old server and I need to remove it from the network, but currently it is set as one of the DNS Servers and DHCP is configured on this server.

What steps should I take to remove this server without causing any problems to the network or client machines? I've added servers on the network but never removed them, I just want to make sure I am doing it the right way.

Many thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We don't have enough information to help you. Is this a Windows domain with Active Directory being utilized? What's the OS? Do you have other newer servers, and if so, what is the newest OS?

If you have all Win 2003 servers, migrating DNS and DHCP isn't hard, its just takes a bit of planning and understanding the steps involved. If you have any Win 2008 or 2008 R2 servers, its very simple and straight forward to install the services and migrate them from the old server.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

All servers are windows 2003 R2, the server that I want to remove from the network is also a domain controller, I do not have a windows 2008 server but I am thinking of getting one.
    Many thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll list the basic steps you need to go through. Keep in mind that migrating DNS isn't hard, but it can go south on you without proper planning. You need to decide if you want to keep the same IP and server name, which means you change nothing in DHCP, or on machines with static IPs. This means migrating to a new DNS server, then changing its name and IP when are ready to cut over. I find this to be the more painful way to migrate DNS. My preference is to get new DNS servers up and running and point some test machines to the new DNS. If all goes well, then its just a matter of updating the DHCP scopes and any machines (usually other servers) with the new DNS sever address. The later method can be done in steps and is easier to control any negative fall out. There is very little risk to doing it this way.

1) Install the DHCP role on one of your servers that you plan to make a Domain Controller. Migrate the DHCP database to the new server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...87(WS.10).aspx. This need to be done first because you need access to the local administrator's account. Once its promoted to the Domain Controller, the local admin account is not accesable without going into repair mode. Verify that your PCs are getting their IP info from your new DHCP server.

2) Promote this same 2003 server to a Domain Controller using DCPROMO

3) Transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801.

4) Set your DNS zones to be Active Directory Integrated.

5) Install the DNS role on the new DC: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591, With the AD integrated zones, it should automatically populate the new DNS server

6) Set up a few workstations to point to the new DNS server.

7) if all works, update your DHCP scopes to reflect the new DNS server, change the network setting on all PCs and servers with static IPs to use the new DNS. There is no rush to do this as both DNS servers will be replicating the same database.

8) Once this is done and working, uninstall the DNS role from the old DC. Let it sit for a day or so, then uninstall the DHCP role.

9) Lastly, run DCPROMO on the old server to demote it as a domain controller. From there you can just remove it from the domain as you would a workstation.

Paul may have a few pointers for you also. I know he's done this migration as well and he's quite knowledgeable.
    Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Install DNS on your 2003 server before you DCPROMO. Much easier than doing it later.
    Set the DNS servers in the TCPIP settings before you DCPROMO. Set DNS 1 to 127.0.0.1, DNS 2 to the IP of your other DC. (DCs should only ever point to themselves, the second address is to allow the DCPROMO to find the domain).
    No need to join the domain before the DCPROMO. Doing so can load software via group policy that you don't want on your DC.

How to migrate DHCP servers.
    Note: no need to do this first per the Docs instructions. It works fine any time.
    Note 2: do not have more than one DHCP server with the same scope settings running at once. You will get duplicate addresses.

1. Backup the database with the batch file below. The real work is done with netsh dhcp server export "%_backfile%" all
    2. Stop the DHCP service on the old box.
    3. Import the database to the new server per the instructions below.
    4. Check the DHCP server is authorized and the scope is activated - you may need to re-start the DHCP service.
    5. If all is well un-install DHCP from the old server.

Code:
    @echo off
    ::**********************************************
    :: Perform daily DHCP export to file
    :: Keep one file per day
    ::
    :: To restore the data use this command.
    ::     netsh dhcp server import "path\file" all
    ::
    :: Paul 1/2009
    ::**********************************************

setlocal
    set _err=0

:: Call the local set_vars.cmd to set the backup drive letter %_backdrv%.
    call %0\..\%computername%_set_vars.cmd
    call %0\..\GetDate.cmd

:: Set backup location, create if required. Change to suit system.
    set _bkdir=%_backdrv%\Backup
    if not exist %_bkdir% md %_bkdir%

:: Set backup file name.
    set _backfile=%_bkdir%\%computername%_DHCPexport_%_day%.dat

:: Set log file location and name. Create directory if required.
    set _logdir=%0\..\Logs
    if not exist %_logdir% md %_logdir%
    set _log=%_logdir%\DHCPBackup.log

:: Log
    echo. >>%_log%
    echo ------------------------------------- >>%_log%
    echo Starting DHCP export to %_backfile% at %time% on %date% >>%_log%

:: Create a DHCP export
    :: Run this on a DHCP server to create a current DHCP export.
    netsh dhcp server export "%_backfile%" all
    set _err=%errorlevel%

echo DHCP export finished with error level %_err% at %time% on %date% >>%_log%

exit /b %_err%

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    How to find which DCs hold the FSMO roles.
    Code:
    netdom query fsmo
    cheers, Paul