3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can U compare WLM 2009, 2010 and 2011 for me?

Can anyone compare Windows Live Mail client (email program on your computer, not web mail) 2010 to both Windows Live Mail client 2009 and 2011? I am interested in the way 2010's toolbar and menus look and act (more like 2009 or more like 2011?), and in image attachment. More on my interest in image attachment is below.

I discovered that Windows Live Mail 2009 with Windows 7 Professional will resize pictures from an explorer window the same way as Outlook Express did - there's just one small extra step.

1. Double click photo you want and it opens in preview (this step was not needed in OE; with OE you select the photo, click Email Photo in the task pane on left).
    2. In WLM client 2009: Click Email.
    3. Click size you want photo to be.
    4. Click OK.
    5. An email form opens with photo attached. Not visible IN the body of email at this point but will be when the recipient gets it.
    6. Type what you want in the body of the email.
    7. Click Send.

In Windows Live Mail 2011:
    1 - double click the photo and it opens in Preview.
    2. Click Email (at top of Preview window)
    3. (this is the obstacle) A window asking you to sign into WLM online opens.
    4. You decline.
    5. A little square cropped picture of your original photo with the words "Enter Album Name Here, View Slideshow, Download All, This Album Has One Photo and will be available on Skydrive until 4/30/12" shows up. There is no attached photo. This is totally unprofessional for business people, to ask people to go look at an "album" or "slideshow" on Skydrive!
    6. OK so instead, you try using the paper clip and browsing to the photo file and clicking your photo so it will attach to the email It attaches - at FULL SIZE so that you are emailing a huge photo, 1 to 5 megabytes in size, to someone and filling up their mailbox with just a single photo. To view it, so they can see the whole thing without scrolling sideways and up and down in the email, then they need to take the extra step of clicking the attached file to see it in Windows Preview. That is so rude, asking people to do extras just to see the photo you sent. What is missing here is that you never get the chance to resize the photo file downward so that a small photo appears in their email body which can be easily seen just by scrolling up and down in the email.

There should be a way to prevent the Windows Live Mail sign in window from appearing. I have tried the various steps suggested here by others but none permanently prevents it from showing up. It is programmed to appear at Step 2 for WLM client 2011, as soon as you click. This needs to be interrupted. The only place I can now think of to interrupt it from is the Registry but I don't know where. Either that or some small program that can be downloaded that will interrupt it. (where oh where are the programmer folks who like to do this stuff??? I saw no such discussion in the programmer forum here.)

So, regarding images, what I am hoping to find out right now is whether Windows Live Mail Client (email program on your computer) for 2010 will behave with photos like WLM 2009 - or like WLM 2010. Anyone here know?

Kelliann

Thanks
    Remember the Spaghetti cowboy film? The Good, the bad & the ugly.
    As you know, I use WLM 2009 and was the last version released for XP and is still available. There may not be too many using 2010, as most people upgraded to 2011, to their regret.
    Here's how my 2009 looks. Some other kind soul might post 2011 version.

RR.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, I have 2009 on one Win7 computer and 2011 on the other Win7 computer. 2009 does what I need for photos but the drawback is I can't move my many email addresses below the storage folders. 2011 will let me move the email addresses below storage folders but can't do what I need for photos. Besides that I just discovered if I close 2011 and reopen, the email addresses are back up above the storage folders. It is most efficient for me to work with the storage folders immediately below the QuickView section because I move a lot of files from inbox to storage folders.

So, am hoping I might get the good qualities of each from 2010 - able to resize images and attach to mail, AND able to move email folders below storage folders and have them stay where I put them even if I close the mail program and reopen it.

2011with its crazy exploded always-in-view menus -- awful!!!!!

Kelliannn

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann,
    I have shown you how my WLM is set. You asked about email addresses below storage folders. Did you mean the Contacts folder.
    In stead of using storage folders, backup your accounts. Make a folder called 'Saved Mail' inside it make a folder for each account, then another for the backup date. Export & Import Messages in WLM.pdf

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, when I imported from Outlook Express, it brough about 75 folders and subfolders over to WLM and put them at the bottom in a section it labeled "Storage folders." Above that are all my separate email addresses with their separate inboxes, drafts, sent mail etc. And above that, at the top, are the "Quick View" boxes such as All Inboxes, All Sent, All Drafts etc. What I want is to move the email addresses and their accompanying inboxes etc. *below* the "Storage Folders."

Backing up is a separate issue and not what I am talking about but I do appreciate your link on how to go about it when I need to. All the "Storage Folders" are the ones I use daily in my work. They really aren't "storage" in the sense of being copiees of stuff you are backing up and saving. They are just folders, working folders, that are used all the time.

Kelliann

Thanks
    Can you post an image of your WLM'S ? Image and File posting..pdf