Thread: First Backup

Star Lounger
    Thanks

First Backup

I just got my new computer with windows home premium. I installed MS security essentials, and Firefox as my alternate browser.

Now I'm running my first Backup using 'create system image'. I will create a system repair disk, does it matter if I use a CD or a DVD. And will this be a start-up disk if I'm in trouble since I did not get any installation disk with the purchase.

Any other suggestions about running a clean computer would be appreciated, since my computers usually and up somewhat cluttered.

Thanks, Gunter

Thanks
    For the System Repair Disk, just use a CD. You do not need the size provided by a DVD.

Remember to re-create system Images when you make changes (updates, new or removed apps, etc) This will keep your system Image up to date so restoration is quicker. Personally, I felt the Win 7 Backup and Restore app was too limited and switched to a 3rd party app. You can read a lot about Images in the Security and Backup forum. This is my opinion and is not shared by everyone.

I would regularly clean temp files. I use CCleaner for this purpose. You can also use the registry cleaner portion but be very careful about what you elliminate. I would also regularly (at least once per month or more often) run a quick scan with your AV of choice and one or two AM apps. My security scheme is multi-layered. I use MSE AV, Online Armor ++ software firewall, and a hardware firewall in my router. This combined with updates keeps my PC cleaned and running best.

You can download and burn to DVD the Win 7 iso file (same version as your present OS) from Digital River. This will become your reinstallation media, but with an up to date Image you should never need your installation media.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-31 at 18:48.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Do you have a factory restore on a hidden partition?
    I recommend testing your drive imaging software by doing a restore of the image you have just created. Do it from the
    bootable restore disk you have just made.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will only use the restore dis if my hard drive goes haywire, or I want to move to a larger HD.

I'm using Wise reg/disk cleaner now, may look for another one.

Thanks
    You will need to test your restore disk and imaging application before your "hard drive goes haywire". Not after.
    There is a very good and obvious reason for doing this, save yourself some pain and get it done while your computer is in good working order.
    Furthermore, if you change or otherwise modify your partitions you may need to reimage.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-12 at 00:04.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You will need to test your restore disk and imaging application before your "hard drive goes haywire". Not after.
    There is a very good and obvious reason for doing this, save yourself some pain and get it done while your computer is in good working order.
    Furthermore, if you change or otherwise modify your partitions you will need to reimage.
    Clint do you use dvd for imaging or have it backup to your hard drive? I also need to do this. I don't have installation disks either. Can you explain the win 7 iso file?

Thanks
    I'll create an image to one of my other internal drives and on occassion, to an external drive as well.
    I like to avoid using DVD disks because of the sizes involved and the number of disks that will be needed.
    The number of disks needed increases the chances of a problem or error in the burn.

ISO image

If you don't have any Windows 7 installations disks that came with your computer then you will need to make an image of the entire
    computer, including any hidden restoration partitions. I would not, if I were you, rely on burned DVDs for this task. the image
    should be stored on an external drive and a bootable recovery disk made with the imaging restore app of your choice in mind.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-10 at 21:57.