4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document style differs from base template's style... why?

I've got a template that defines the following style:

Name: Caption
    Type: Paragraph
    Style based on: Normal
    Style for following paragraph: Normal

Font: Arial
    Font style: Bold
    Size: 10
    Font color: automatic
    Underline style: (none)

Alignment: Left
    Outline level: Body Text
    (Indentation) Left: 0.25"
    Right: 0"
    Special: Hanging by 0.25"
    (Spacing) Before: 6 pt
    After: 18 pt
    Line spacing: single

Numbering Library: none
    Bullet Library: none

When I create a new document with this template, the Styles dialog says that the Caption style is "bulleted." Paragraphs created with the Caption style have bullets.

If I try to correct the Caption style directly, the "Numbering" dialog shows that the style is not bulleted.

To fix this I have to fix the style in a Caption paragraph, then fix the Caption style with "Update... to match selection."

Is this a bug, or some obscure aspect of Word 2010 styles that I don't understand? It sure looks like a bug.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like a bug, but not necessarily something specific to Word 2010. It's possible the template has become corrupted in some way.

When you check the properties of the Normal style, are they clear of any association with bullets?

What happens if you insert a footnote? - does the footnote separator start with a bullet?

Do you have any content in the template, where you have directly applied bullets to paragraphs that have Normal style applied to them? (not that that should matter...)

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Was the template created from scratch in W2010 or 2007? Or was it created in W2003 and converted to W2007/10? Are the template defaults set to be the same as normal (even if you are not using it)? Are both documents clear of unlinked styles?

Pam

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary Frieder asked:

When you check the properties of the Normal style, are they clear of any association with bullets?
    They are.

What happens if you insert a footnote? - does the footnote separator start with a bullet?
    It starts with a superscript number, which is correct. There's no bullet.

Do you have any content in the template...
    yes, quite a bit. It contains a skeleton for a user's manual, with several pages of front matter, a couple of headings representing the manual's body, and an index.

...where you have directly applied bullets to paragraphs that have Normal style applied to them?
    No. If I did have bulleted paragraphs in the template I'd use a Bullet style (one of the styles defined in the template), but as it happens there are no bulletted paragraphs at all.

PamCaswell asked:

Was the template created from scratch in W2010 or 2007?
    It (or an ancestor) was created from scratch in W2010. It's similar to templates I've used in W2003 in the past, but I created it from scratch when I started a new job, and here I use W2010 only.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm stumped. Can you post a sanitized version of your template?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently I can't post a sanitized version of the template... at least, not one that exhibits the problem.

I returned to the original template, and now it doesn't exhibit the problem either.

But this was not a one-time occurrence; it was persistent, and I suspect it will come back. I just don't know when, or what makes it go away or return.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have seen odd behaviour like this before and haven't worked out what the problem is. In my case, it was appearing in Word XP and I used a macro to solve it when I noticed it. You might adapt the same as an AutoNew macro to run when a new document is created.
    Code:
    Sub RefreshStylesFromTemplate()  'Reimports the styles from the attached template
      ActiveDocument.UpdateStyles

'Kludge fix to remove spurious numbering from Word XP files
      Debug.Print Application.Version
      If Application.Version = "10.0" Then
        With ActiveDocument
          .Styles("Pict wide").LinkToListTemplate ListTemplate:=Nothing
          .Styles("Table of Figures").LinkToListTemplate ListTemplate:=Nothing
          .Styles("Table Header").LinkToListTemplate ListTemplate:=Nothing
        End With
      End If
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia