3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found way to stop Word from opening docs in separate windows

I found a way to stop Word 2003 from opening each document in an entirely separate window. I hope this helps someone who doesn't like the separate windows and instead wants the documents to all open in the same window of Word. And when you shrink them, they shrink down to a mini-heading in the bottom left corner.

TOOLS/OPTIONS/VIEW/UNCHECK "WINDOWS IN TASKBAR" found in the section of the View tab called "Show" - at top of last column on right.

Kelliann

Thanks
    Thank you.

In Word 2007 and Word 2010 this is done through Advanced Options under the Office Button or File Tab.

What I did instead was to move my taskbar from the bottom of my screen to the right side of the screen. This gives room for far more entries and doesn't use up valuable real estate on my laptop screen. I like having each document as a separate taskbar item. For me it makes it faster to go from one open document to another.

I generally run with my Word windows maximized. The Ctrl-F6 and Ctrl-Shift-F6 shortcuts to scroll through Word windows work whether they are set to be in separate windows or not.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2012-02-01 at 07:39. Reason: Add info about Word 2007 & Word 2010 and shortcut keys
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles, that is interesting. I'll have to give that a shot when things settle down. I am still struggling to learn to use Windows 7. For me it is best to stay with the older programs while I learn the new OS. One thing I just discovered is that if you push the Windows key and the tab key at the same time it scrolls through your open pages in a very cool way. Same function as the regular ALT/TAB but neater looking.

Thanks
    If you want, Windows 7 will group windows for a program as one taskbar item.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin