New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 and OneNote updates fail to install (KB2553455 & KB2553290)

I have MS Office 2010 installed on a Win7x64 system. Two updates fail to install with error 80070663 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

The first update is:
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553455) 32-Bit Edition

and the second update is:Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2553290) 32-Bit Edition

I have chased this problem across countless Google leads, all to no avail. None of the MS tech support pages led to a successful fix. I am stumped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

Thanks
    Have you attempted this fix? It appears others have had this problem and it was related somehow to a problem with activation. Weird!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sequencing regedit did not work

Hi Ted. Thanks for the response. Yes, I did find the link you posted and one of the problems in it did relate to my problem. That is, when I downloaded the updates and manually tried to install them I also received the "sequencing" error. I checked the registry and there were two entries missing. I added those two strings as per the instructions and tried the updates again. Same result (but it took a few seconds longer). Went back to the registry and double checked my work, all entries match the table supplied by MS tech support. I made certain that each line in the registry matched exactly. I still get the same error message as before (80070663).

I also tried doing a manual install again using KB 2553455 and got the message :

An error occurred while running detection.

Nothing about a sequencing error this time, that may prove helpful. Still stumped.

Thanks again for the lead.

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not have any further ideas at this time. I'll keep my eyes open, who knows something may pop up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you short of disk space?

Have you removed the MSOcache folder?

See if Update error code 80070663 helps.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still trying...

Ted - thanks for the try. I appreciate that you will keep your eye open. You are right, one never knows what will come along...

Joe, thanks for the response. I have over 800GB free on both my system and data drives. The MSOcache has been removed. I had previously found and followed the link you gave but decided to try it again (desperation in action). Still no success.

Thanks again to both of you for the tips.

I am open to any ideas...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Removing the MSOcache folder is NOT a good idea. That folder contains local copies of the installation and update files for Office. It facilitates servicing your Office installation with the original media. With all the free space you have I recommend you restore the folder - you may have to perform a repair install of Office to do that.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

MSOcache removal (Not!)

Joe - I agree about not removing the MSOcache. I did it in such a manner that I can put it back as if it never left. But when I am looking for ideas on how to fix this problem it only seems reasonable to try whatever seems reasonable, with caution, so MSOcache went by the way for a time. Thanks much for the heads up, though, that will likely be helpful to others as well.

Have a great day!

Glen