5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turn that spare PC into a digital video recorder

INSIDER TRICKS

Turn that spare PC into a digital video recorder

By Lincoln Spector

Not everyone has hardware to spare, but if you happen to have an extra Windows PC, you can put it to work entertaining you. With a minor investment in time and money, you can set it up to record and play TV shows.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/insider-tricks/turn-that-spare-PC-into-a-digital-video-recorder/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    CNET mentioned a cute little backlit keyboard barely wider than a Blackberry, with a touchpad and laser pointer for only $35. It's called FAVI entertainment wireless keyboard. I just ordered one for my media center.
    No code has to be inserted here.

AL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've stopped using my PC to record TV because it creates such humungously large files. I expect a standard 90-minute movie to take not much more than 700 MB of hard drive space, but my PC creates files 3-4 times that large.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You stated: "DVI: You'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, but that will only get the video to your television." This is not true. Most NVIDIA card output video and sound on the DVI port. I use a NVIDIA GT240 card and use the HDMI port to connect to a 22" monitor and the DVI port to Connect to my home theater system. I use a passive DVI-D to a HDMI converter and then a 35 foot HDMI cable to my home theater receiver and everything is GREAT! I get surround sound and HDTV to my setup. I am not an expert on what video card support audio via DVI, but it does make it easy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have an ipod touch or an iphone - maybe even an ipad, you could install the remote mouse app on the ios device and the server on the windows PC. This app uses the wifi lan to communicate and allows you to use the ios device as both a mouse and a keyboard.

There is a feature limited free version and the more capable paid version. Considering the low cost of the paid version makes this a very attractive alternative to those who already own an IOS device.