3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which anti-virus?

I am not sure this is the section for this question.

I am so tired of Norton Anti-Virus 2012. It runs my computer frequently, doing scans and checking Live Update. I set it so my most-used programs interrupt its scanning and set full scans to quarterly. It scans in the background all the time I am not using the most-used programs, making it run hot and never giving it a rest.

Seems to me Woody said Windows Defender is just as good. This would have been a while ago.

Can someone suggest an anti-virus program that will not be running every time I turn around, making the computer hot, the fan run all the time to cool it, and using up too much of the CPU resources? I do have a Targus fan mat under it, and if it weren't for that it probably would have killed the computer by now <g>. This is an HP Pavilion dv 6000 series "entertainment PC" and I like it very much. It is a 2007 with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.

Norton AV 2012 does the same thing on my new HP laptop, but I have far more memory in the new one, Windows Home 64 bit and the new laptop somehow also keeps itself cool. Still, I'd be glad to get rid of Norton's gigantic overly fancy 2012 AV. I liked their old simple 2003 flexible, very settable (for tasks it was to perform), 2003 version. I may be wrong but think I discovered that Live Update goes checking for new virus signatures about every 60 seconds instead of every 4 hours. Regardless, I found no setting that would change its checking schedule. Maybe I am very wrong on that but seems to me that's what I noticed before the HDD on my older laptop, which I used all the time, broke.

Thanks for any suggestions for a simple and effective antivirus program that I can set to the schedules *I* want.

Kelliann (PS if this is in the wrong section please let me know or move it for me... thanks)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kelli,

I'm surprised; recent iterations of Norton have become much less resource-hungry and only occasionally intrusive. I'd make sure there isn't another problem/program bollixing up your system (sounds like a colonic flush ad). As far as alternatives, the free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE), which has superseded Windows Defender, is plenty good for the average user.

Zig

Thanks
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) very well. It runs very inobtrusively in real time (I do not even realize it's there). It asks if you wish to run a manual scan periodically, you set the scheduled time. A quick scan takes just a few minutes. It is well liked in these and other forums. Like all apps, it has some that swear by it, and some that swear at it, but the former seem the much larger group. It updates virus sig. each day and includes both an AV and AM component. Best of all it's free.

As any security app, it should be a part of a multi-layered security scheme. I have MSE, Online Armor ++ software firewall, a hardware firewall in my router, and actively update apps regularly.

note: it appears Zig types faster than I do!

I gave up on Norton many years ago shortly after Peter Norton sold his excellent AV app to Symantec.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kellian, this is one of those questions like "What's the best web browser?" - everyone has their favourite. The first thing I'd say to you is, don't pay for your AV - there are plenty of free ones out there.

Windows Defender (or whatever it's called at the moment)* is very well thought of by most, though I'm not keen on it myself. There are others, such as AVG.

FWIW my favourite is Avast! You get a year's free subscription, after which time you just renew for another year and so on.

*Edit - yeah, Zig and Ted, that was it: MSE.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2012-02-01 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann,
    The only time I scan my PC is after a clean install & all my security programs are installed. I use Outpost Firewall Pro, OpenDNS & Avast Free version. Any AV program that has active protection does not need a scan to be run.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Before you think about ditching your current AV, take a good look through some of it's advanced settings properties.
    There is no reason that you need to have everything the program offers to be on and actively running by default.
    Go through and start removing or curtailing application settings that you don't want or need.

If you are confident in your computer habbits and security situation then you will have much more to work with in terms
    of turning off some of the many features in NAV 2012 that you may not need. If not, then your computers hardware may not be
    up to the job.

If your hardware is somewhat anemic then MSE is just one free AV/AM app that is very descrete when it comes to system resources.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would do as CLiNT says, check your settings. I have been using Norton for the last 2 years and do not have the issues you are having. But it sounds like you are ready to just change and there are many other good AV's out there. I would go with MSE or Avast which are both free.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've gone through the settings for Norton AV 2012 and cannot find a way to stop Live Update from checking for updates very frequently. And if it isn't doing that, it is running the drive scanning endlessly or so it seems.

I am less aware of it on the new computer because they hid the drive light over on the side; on my older one, the drive light was right in front so I could easily see if it was doing something or not. I am going to put a small mirror under the side of it so I can see when it is active. Moving the light to an invisible location (when you are in normal typing posture and not hanging your head over the side of the computer) was a brilliant HP idea fpr the Pavilion laptop. That was equalled or exceeded by their brilliant idea to use the f keys at the top of the keyboard for changing volume, monitor illumination and turning the network card on and off (easy to do when you aim for the MUTE key and miss). This was what they did in 2002. 10 years later, they returned to it.

James, in a way you're right - I am just fed up with Norton. Their 2003 program was small, you set its tasks the way you wanted them, and all was well. After that the program got bigger and bigger until now it's blown up like an out of control balloon. I very much appreciate the suggestions on this thread. It helps a lot to see what others think.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials here.