Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista can't access XP CD ROM over network

I seem to be in the middle of a perfect storm: My copy Premiere Elements suddenly started to abend when it attempts to load any project, so I decided to reinstall it. As I started to do this, the CD/DVD writer on my Vista machine also went south and a uninstall of the drive and reboot (from power off) left me with a "driver failed to load" message (the drive's access light flashes when a disk is inserted, but that's all).

So I went to my XP system and double-checked that its CD-RW drive was shared. However, when I attempt to open it across the network, the Vista tells me that the drive is not accessible. Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get access the XP drive? Thanks...

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    (the drive's access light flashes when a disk is inserted, but that's all).

So I went to my XP system and double-checked that its CD-RW drive was shared. However, when I attempt to open it across the network, the Vista tells me that the drive is not accessible.
    imjcarls,
    Hello... Does the CD \ DVD RW drive work ( on it's own) if you try to access it? ex: can it read a CD\DVD? ( if you click on the CD\DVD using Windows Explorer after inserting ). CD\DVD RW drives can go bad ...They are not an expensive item ...I recently replace both of mine ( Circa 2007 ) for doing weird things .... They are not that expensive ( about $30.00 USD) , and easy to replace . Directron , or New Egg. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-01 at 17:36.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    imjcarls,

Can you access other shared folders on the XP machine?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the CD drive dropped off the "Computer" window's list of available drives on the Vista system. I may have to pull out the charge card...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Can you access other shared folders on the XP machine? "

( I thought I posted this, but maybe I didn't press the "Post button...)

I can definitely access the XP system's "Shared Documents" folder and regularly move files back and forth between the two systems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    With the current sharing strategy from the XP machine, were you ever able to access the drive from the network? Does it work normally when accessed locally?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    With the current sharing strategy from the XP machine, were you ever able to access the drive from the network? Does it work normally when accessed locally?
    Yes, it works fine for reading CD's. It has bee shared for a while, but I can't say that I've ever accessed it over the network. I also just tried accessing it from an old Win 98 machine and could not open the drive (on the other hand, I can get to the Win98 CD from the XP system, which may be irrelevant).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have easy file sharing selected on XP?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do you have easy file sharing selected on XP?
    Thanks...I assume you meant "simple file sharing" but yes, that is turned on under the Control Panel's "Folder Options" applet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have always seen Simple File Sharing as a huge problem. Never worked the way I wanted. That is so much true that even on XP mode, one of the first things I did was turn it off, even more so because those common folders, such as Shared Documents are useless to me.

You may try to uncheck that and see if it helps. Maybe check the sharing permissions on the drive, once you do it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2012-02-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wellll...okay: I disabled simple file sharing. Now the Vista system asks me for a login when I try to access anything shared on the XP system. The default login it is presenting seems to be that of my Vista system account but if I use either that password or the XP system's password (the login names are the same), it rejects it. I cannot see anything on the XP system that would let me set up a user account from another system, so apparently "simple file sharing" means "file sharing that isn't too complex to understand" Any suggestions as to how this actually works? Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    To stop the password requests, the strategy is to use accounts with the same name and password on both computers. You probably need to go to your dvd drive and share it again, or check permissions. The same may apply to other shared folders.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2012-02-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Fortunately, the user name was the same. Oddly, it began working after a few attempts. Now I just need to remember to check the "Remember password" box...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great, glad that you got it working

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiliarious: I opened the case, jiggled the ribbon cables and the DVD writer started working again. *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast