Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Office 2003 when moving WIN XP C: from old HD to newer one

I used the software on the old Seagate HD provided to move my WIN XT Pro SP3 (fully updated) from my old Seagate 120 GB PATA HDD to my newer Seagate 300 GB PATA HDD. The move went ok except it messed up my Office 2003. I can click on a Word 2003 (or Excel 2003) document now and I get told a dialog box is open, then when I click OK it tells me something else that doesn't work. Nothing the error boxes say to do works except if I just click the little x at the top right of the error, it will open in Word 2003 (or Excel 2003) document.

The Office 2003 was also kept up to current upgrades/updates.

I decided to re-install Office 2003 but it won't let me; then I tried to delete Office 2003 from the Add or Remove Programs and that won't work either.

I have just been copying the (relatively few) Word and Excel items into Open Office counterparts but they still have some problems - I forgot what - that are like what the Word or Excel 2003 installation gives.

This is not a life or death problem, I can just move the .doc and .XLS files to a newer computer 6 feet away but I would like to use Office 2003 on this computer.

Any suggestions on how to remove Office 2003 so I can re-install it?
    I don't mind having to re-install all the upgrades and updates.

Thanks.
    Last edited by paulbyr; 2012-02-02 at 08:46.
    Paulbyr in NC

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I suppose an Office repair won't work either?

If not, one alternative would be to use an uninstaller, such as Revo (the free edition should work fine).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2012-02-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Have you tried using the Uninstall on the Installation Disk?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2012-02-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks much for your replies - I have jvPowertools 2011 and it could not remove Office2003. Maybe I will try REVO; I was not able to get the system to even start the install disk - that was what I first tried.

Oh well, I did copy the Word and Excell documents onto another computer, but it's amazing how much I miss Word. I limp by with OpenOffice Writer and Calc. I now ave to figure out how to print envelopes with OpenOffice - I tried a while back and ruined about 6 envelopes before gave up. Worth trying again.
    Paulbyr in NC

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would clone the 120 gig to the 300 gig again, no reason for the program not working and no reason to accept that its not working if it works/worked on the 120 gig. I've been using EaseUS ToDo most of the time lately and its been spot on so far.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2012-02-16)