Aiken, South Carolina, USA

Power Supply Explosion

I recently had a power supply (from a very reputable company) go out in a blaze of glory - a bang followed by lots of smoke! I had a hint before hand which I had ignored. The battery backup went off suddenly cutting off all power. I had just had a bad battery backup do the same thing and I replaced it with a old one until I could get out to buy a new one. So I thought that there could be something else wrong but I turned the battery backup back on and restarted the computer anyway. Fifteen seconds later - fireworks! My fault. I replaced the power supply (I keep extras around of various parts) and the computer booted back up just fine. A day later the CPU fan went so I replaced the heat exchanger and fan. Everything has been fine for a couple weeks. All diagnostics I have say that the harddrives, fans, CPU, graphics card and memory are running just fine.
    My question is if there was further damage caused by this incedent, where would be the most likely place to watch for it? The CPU, motherboard,...? This is my wife's machine and it took considerable coaxing to get her to believe everything was ok (it exploded while she was on the machine and I must admit it was rather un-nerving.). I've done all backups of everything so I'm ok there. But hardware, I don't have extras of everything. I would like to be prepared for replacement of the most likely things to fail on this machine.

5 Star Lounger
    Slough, Berkshire UK
    I suspect that your battery backup went off to protect your computer as that is one of the functions of having one. But plugging in another older one which may not have had this protection you finished of a failing power supply. If your computer is now running OK for a couple of weeks with no signs of errors I expect both the backup battery unit and the good quality power supply has saved your Motherboard and CPU. Hope the power supply you replaced it with is of same quality so as to be protect in future as most high quality power supplies are designed to not pass voltage spikes through to motherboard but cheaper ones may not have the same protection.

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

California & Arizona
    You could start monitoring temperatures and fan speeds on a regular basis while the machine is under load.
    Make an effort to remove dust accumulations inside the case a couple times a year.
    You could also start keeping an eye on the event viewer and device manager periodically to see if any flags turn up.
    Your replacement, like Clive says, should be a higher end model as well, and give yourself at least a few hundred watts over and above what your needs are.

HWMonitor PRO
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-02-02 at 21:00.