Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    One more footnote: The Malwarebytes Flash Scan (available only in their paid version) is meant to be used in real-time and on demand, when you suspect something malicious is attacking your computer. You disconnect from the Internet, and immediately start the Flash Scan. It scans the most critical areas of Windows and comes back with a report or actions to take if something suspicious is going on. A Flash Scan is very quick, taking only a few minutes to complete in most cases. This is not meant to be used for routine Quick Scans, which should be done every few days or daily.
    Why can a Flash Scan be scheduled then (as in the screen shot at post 4 of this thread)?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why can a Flash Scan be scheduled then (as in the screen shot at post 4 of this thread)?

Bruce
    Marketing! Not the original intent. But it could be a nice thing to have running occasionally in the background, if you are doing particularly risky things on a multi-core computer system with plenty of RAM. Maybe that's why you can schedule it (perhaps to run every two hours)?
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that flash scans are used mostly after an infection has been found with the regular scan...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that flash scans are used mostly after an infection has been found with the regular scan...
    Also a recommended use.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also a recommended use.
    Why would you need to use flash scan after a quick or full scan, when it doesn't check files, folders or registry like a quick or full scan?

Malwarebytes staff recommend the opposite:

If you perform a Quick Scan, there is no need to run a Flash Scan . The Quick Scan checks for all of the items checked in a Flash Scan along with many other items.

Flash Scan:
    Note: If anything is found by a Flash Scan, then it is recommended that you also perform a Quick Scan to verify there are no additional infected items on your system

new Flash scan option

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-21 at 18:57.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The pay version of Malwarebytes is a waste of money. Here's what testing by PC Magazine had to say about the pay version: "Less effective at rootkit removal. Didn't block all malware downloads. Poor malware blocking scores... the product's malware removal capabilities are vastly better than its malware blocking abilities. That makes the free edition a better deal." Since you are already using Norton Internet Security, then you already have adequate real-time protection - especially if you have your computer set up correctly (read e-mail and browse the internet from a limited account, not the administrator account).

Alan, MWB is not an Anti Virus program and runs just fine alongside my AV program
    Malwarebytes pay version is more than just an anti-virus product. According to the product's overview and features, it is intended to protect in real-time against all malware, not just viruses. But, as PC Magazine revealed, the pay version is not worth bothering with.

Thanks
    I have the paid version.
    It works for me and has been effective in keeping me safe and clean...

There are always reviews both pro and con over every piece of software ever written....I take all the reviews with a grain of salt..

PC Mag like other publications always have an agenda behind their reviews and I have more confidence in other users critiques then any publication who's reviews may be compromised by their advertising revenue for competing products.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Here, Here!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why would you need to use flash scan after a quick or full scan, when it doesn't check files, folders or registry like a quick or full scan?

Malwarebytes staff recommend the opposite:

If you perform a Quick Scan, there is no need to run a Flash Scan . The Quick Scan checks for all of the items checked in a Flash Scan along with many other items.

Flash Scan:
    Note: If anything is found by a Flash Scan, then it is recommended that you also perform a Quick Scan to verify there are no additional infected items on your system

new Flash scan option

Bruce
    In other words, the paid version of Malwarebytes is just using "flash scans" as a marketing tool? No real use at all, if what you just posted is in any way true.

The one legitimate use of a Flash Scan which I can imagine is if suddenly while online you suspect something nasty has begun to infect your computer. Then it might be good to be able without logging off (but after shutting down all Internet access) to run a very rapid "first look" at critical Windows areas. Followed by a real scan, preferably a full file scan in Windows Safe Mode (logoff required).

Some Cloud Scanners have this sort of "rapid response" capability. But you really should disconnect from the Internet if something suspicious occurs. (Making Cloud Scanners more harmful than useful in this situation.)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-02-26 at 02:36.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In other words, the paid version of Malwarebytes is just using "flash scans" as a marketing tool? No real use at all, if what you just posted is in any way true.
    I wouldn't say that. Some people schedule Flash Scan to run hourly (with Quick Scan daily), which you reluctantly agreed could be useful, after originally telling us that Flash Scan was meant to be run on demand. And Malwarebytes staff recommend having it scheduled to run immediately after updates, for which there is a special option:

Flash Scan - This is a very quick check of your system for active infections running in memory, the registry as well as a heuristics check to look for new/unknown threats. It is less comprehensive than a Quick Scan, but is useful if you just updated MBAM and want to make sure that nothing that was added to the current update but wasn't detected by the previous database has infected your system (this is why we have an option for it to run after a successful update in the Scheduler if you have the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware). http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index...howtopic=94491

The one legitimate use of a Flash Scan which I can imagine is if suddenly while online you suspect something nasty has begun to infect your computer. Then it might be good to be able without logging off (but after shutting down all Internet access) to run a very rapid "first look" at critical Windows areas. Followed by a real scan, preferably a full file scan in Windows Safe Mode (logoff required).
    Perhaps if you find on-access scanning to be too troublesome and inefficient, which you have stated to be the case. But don't most people who get the paid version of Malwarebytes get it specifically for the real-time on-access scanning not included with the free version? Why is your potential use the only legitimate use? I think most people would find scheduling Flash Scans more useful than running them on demand (despite your pronouncement that scheduling was not intended when clearly it IS the intended use).

Bruce

(P.S. It's a bit unnecessary and insulting, when I'm just quoting official information from Malwarebytes own web site with links, to say "if what you just posted is in any way true".)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-26 at 12:30.

mart44
    I used the free version of MBAM for a good while but being a believer in supporting software that has served me well over a period of time, I recently paid for the Pro version. I do a full scan about once every couple of weeks. Apart from that, it runs in realtime alongside the Norton Internet Security Suite. No ill-effects have been noticed by doing this.

I like the Pro version for its realtime protection features, especially the ability to block what it considers are risky sites by their IP addresses. It has blocked the occasional site too. Since MBAM is such a well-respected program, I'm inclined to believe it was right to do that and don't try to by-pass it.

All in all, I think it is worth buying the Pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Thanks
    I'm the one who started this thread and I do not feel like I wasted any money buying the pro version of Malwarebytes. I like that it updates constantly, and it is good to support a company that has provided a good useful free tool, and it was very cheap in a special offer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb PRO Ver of MBAM

Midnight and Others : When it comes to info on the Pro version of MBAM, perhaps it would be wise to read what they have written at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index...howtopic=10138 . P.S. I do not know IF their Section J pertains only to Norton 360 or may include other Norton Security "Suite(s)" !?
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    If you re-read, it is clearly about Norton 360. No mention of Norton Internet Security, which I don't believe classifies as a 'suite'.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    Midnight and Others : When it comes to info on the Pro version of MBAM, perhaps it would be wise to read what they have written at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index...howtopic=10138 . P.S. I do not know IF their Section J pertains only to Norton 360 or may include other Norton Security "Suite(s)" !?
    "SW" ,
    Hello...I have used Norton 360, and now NIS 2012 along with Malwarebytes Pro for years without one conflict or problem on VIsta, XP, and "7" Just my 2¢ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast