New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple problems help

Earlier this week I noticed my D drive (cd\dvd) and my F drive (NDAS external hard drive) were no longer showing in Windows Explorer. Nor are they showing in Devices. I've run CCCleaner and AntiMalwarebytes with no significant problems showing and no change in the situation. At the same time the drive disappeared I also had to start using "Run As Administrator" on programs I'd never had to before, i.e. Thunderbird and Firefox, Corel Draw. Does any of this suggest an underlying problem I could look for? The cd/dvd drive is still powered as I can open and close the door and the NDAS drive appears to be running and its icon is showing on the task bar. I can work around all this but it has stopped one of my backup methods and I no longer have use of the DVD drive. I will certainly appreciate any suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Can you go back, either through a System Restore or a backup restore, to where you were at the time this started?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried a full scan with your AV. Just in case. Also in device manager what happens if you right click in an empty space a couple of times and tell it to 'scan for hardware changes'.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I would also check the PS voltages and temps in the case just in case something might be going wrong with the hardware. It's kind of unusual for several systems to fail at once. You can use an app such as HWMonitor. There are many others which would work as well. Just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried System Restore previously with no luck. I can't do a backup restore as that is on the NDAS drive I can't access. I previously did a full AV scan (SuperAntispware) and in Device Manager CD/DVD Rom drive isn't listed nor does anything positive happen when I do the double right click. A NDAS Bus does show up under System devices. but I see no other listing for the drive in Device Manager. By the way I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit SP 1.

Thanks
    Check the power and data cables for both the CD/DVD ROM drive and your NDAS.
    Is neither device listed in drive manager as well?
    In Device Manager at the very top, right click on your computer and select the 'scan for hardware changes'.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried all of the above with no luck. I downloaded the latest version of the NDAS software to see if that might force the issue but it won't install. I can't use my Win7 disk to try and repair the problem as the DVD drive isn't available. Any other suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1940 View Post
    I can't use my Win7 disk to try and repair the problem as the DVD drive isn't available. Any other suggestions?
    jd,
    Hello.... Just curious ... When you look in "Disk Management", does it show any CD-ROM's at all ...Also when in BIOS either "Setup or "Menu"... Can you see any CD-Rom's? present? If the answer is still no it would be worth the $25.00 USD's ( for new CD\ DVD RW) just to try as you can always use a spare anyway ...CD\DVD-RW's seem to go "south" every so often. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Disk Management did not show the DVD drive so tried looking in the BIOS as you suggested. It was listed there and I also noticed it was listing a nonexistant floppy drive which I turned off. Rebooted and the D drive was back. Don't understand it but I'm happy it's now there. Still no NDAS drive and I'm still having to run all .exe programs in administrator mode although that's not a particularly terrible problem. My concern now is the NDAS drive although I do have Carobnite running so I'm not totally unprotected. I also ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials which found nothing.

c

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm almost ashamed to admit this but the NDAS drive is now working. That happened after I turned it off and back on again. I hadn't done that before as the power light was on so I assumed there was no electrical problem. Live and learn, I guess. Now, if I can just figure out why I have to run .exe files as an administrator I'll be back to normal.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Powered up but not linked

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago with one of my clients where his HP-Win7-Ultimate64 system went BSOD for no clear reason. When he fired it back up it was fine except all his external peripherals were INOP. They all had power but nobody was talking to the Mothership. We shut the CPU down, disconnected everything, and reconnected and verified all, one at a time, including his external HDD. Everything returned to proper operation, but the question remained "Why did it occur in the first place?" Just last week we had to replace the PSU when it outlived the Warranty by 3 months, a classic case of good cost engineering. So, I'm now thinking that 'cheap POS' PSU was getting crotchety over time, especially with the heavy usage he puts on his machine, compounded by the constant voltage cycling up and down, and power losses suffered here in the domain of CL&P-CT. All these factors can have a deleterious effect on your computer's ability to keep you smiling, and when they combine in the perfect storm of "I need this 46 page report yesterday", poop happens. Even his UPS box didn't protect him 100% because I'm thinking the trigger voltages are different for every device across his configuration. Finally, something happened and his system said "BSOD". Just an opinion for what it's worth. Not gospel, but think about it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you partially solved your problem.

I would say the count is in the thousands now..of all the problems I have solved with a shut-down and reboot on a PC (Windows and others).
    James, Santa Barbara CA

Windows XP Professional sp3
    Pentium 4, 3.40GHz, Step 10, 64-bit, 4.00 GB (2.87), WDC , 1TB, 7200rpm, SATA, 3.0GB/s, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512MB (EVGA),
    MS Security Essentials 2.0, WAU on, Secunia PSI, Google Chrome, IE8, MS Silverlight, Windows Live Essentials, MS Office Ultimate 2007, MS Office Visio Pro 2007, MS Office Live Add-In, Zune, iTunes, Foxit Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Java, CCleaner, Registry Crawler

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    jd,
    CD\DVD-RW's seem to go "south" every so often. Regards Fred
    This is moot at this point since jd got it working again, however there was a time about 3 years ago when it seemed like the CD/DVD units were ALL banded together in the Dell desktop machines........ to fail at that miraculous one month past warranty point.