Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Want to change default calendar in Outlook

I would like to change the default calendar in Outlook '07 to my Windows Live Calendar. Is there a way to make that calendar the primary?

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    To be able to be assigned as a default calendar, a calendar must reside in a PST file that you can designate the the primary delivery location. I don't believe you can do that with the Windows Live Calendar.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Joe,

This is possible, indeed. I have recently done it.

John,

I suppose you are synching Outlook with the Hotmail account and what you want is Outlook to use events from the Hotmail account as the default events. I actually have gone through that, as I have just bought a Windows Phone phone .

You need to open the account settings dialog, in Outlook. Once there, choose the data files tab, click over the Hotmail account and then click Set as Default. This is all you need to do and hotmail's calendar will then be the default. Beware this may have other side effects.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-02-02 at 14:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2012-02-02)

Thanks
    Yes, I am syncing Outlook to my Windows Phone, and all is well except that in order to synch the calendar I had to have my msn calendar open as well, then drag and drop from the "My Calendar" in Outlook, to the msn calendar. Not a problem really but if I put the appointment in just the msn calendar, then it doesn't show up in "My Calendar" of course and then I don't see the appointment in the calendar in the To-Do Bar. Is this making sense so far?
    So to make things more interesting, my e-mail provider switched us all so that our e-mail server was gmail, which really sorta #$%@#$me off. Now what I have done is create a new @live.com account and am in the process of moving all of that e-mail. I have made that e-mail address the default, but that doesn't change the calendar default.
    Ok when I did what you recommend under both my @live and @msn accounts under file name it says Not Available. Just for giggles however I highligted my @live account, made it the default, closed and restarted Outlook, and VOILA! there it is...
    Thanks a bunch and I hope you enjoy your Windows Phone as much as I am enjoying mine....
    I've got all of my e-mail folders and subfolders synching beautifully!
    Now if you figure out a way to get my Outlook Contacts into my phone w/o having to csv them I will really be a happy camper...
    thanks
    John
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2012-02-02 at 15:14.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it worked for you. I have had the phone for less than a week and I am addicted .

Thanks
    I got mine just before Christmas, and I am still finding things that this thing does! One app that is really awesome is called Poynt! I had it on my BB and loved it. It was the first app I put on. I think my roommate is about to send me to Windows Phone Anonymous!
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, the Nokia Lumia 800 only came out here last week and I really wanted that one. The OS is pretty cool. I had read a lot about it but using it is different. Guess it started a bit of a move to the cloud, since the Live ID and the associated stuff is almost a requirement to be able to use the phone in full.

Thanks
    Verizon doesn't have the Lumina yet, so I have the HTC Trophy. I was using the "cloud" aka Skydrive for a while before I went to the WP7. I could access it thru my BB browser, but being able to access it directly thru the app is awesome. My only complaint on the WP7 phone is that the documentation as to what all this little goody can do sucks! whether that is a MSFT problem or HTC problem, they really need to do a better job. But the forums are pretty good!
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well the only decent info is only available online, although some of it replicates the self help the phone offers. Nokia has the most minimal info on the OS and even the phone manual had to be downloaded.

There are a few books on Windows Phone 7, but I have seen no books on 7.5., which is so recent. So, a book might be an option, but only if you accept the fact that it will cover version 7 only.

Thanks
    Well I'll be D@#$#$ed. I was playing around here this afternoon, cleaning up e-mails resetting rules etc. to my @live.com email address, and happened to look at the server status after I did a send and receive. When I looked at it it showed "Contacts" I thought WTH! So I entered a test contact, and did a Send And Receive, and my test contact showed up on my Windows Phone, it didn't show up in my Windows Live Contacts, but who cares.......and this is W/O an exchange server.

We will probably need to move post, as I want to add one more thing about the contacts. While cleaning that up in Outlook '07 and my @live.com email address, I decided to see if I put a picture on the contact, if that would also synch to my Windows Phone... Yup you guessed it it did!
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2012-02-02 at 20:32.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it's a different problem, it may be heplful, indeed, to start a new topic.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lack of synching to Outlook is one reason I will not go to a Windows phone. Too bad. I had a Windows phone before and loved it but MS has done a huge disservice to those of us who are not interested in cloud computing and want to synch with Outlook not Hotmail or Windows Live or whatever it is. My BB synchs beautifully. I'll stick with it.

Thanks
    Peggy,
    What I have discerned in the 2 months that I have had my Windows Phone, is that the documentation on what this thing will do, is sorely lacking. Whether that is by design from MSFT, or from (in my case) HTC irrelevant. Knowing what my old Windows mobile did I knew that there had to be a way to do the same with the WP7, and with the help of the WP forums, and the final piece of the puzzle from this forum, I now have my WP7 singing like a songbird.

I now have my Outlook Contacts and e-mail synching to my Windows Phone7. Once I changed the default calendar in Outlook, that also changed the default contacts and as I stated above it works beautifully.

I came over from a BB, and without a server or changing from POP3 to imap, my e-mail never did sync. Contacts and notes, were no problem. As for Cloud Computing, I love it.
    I liken it to a poor mans exchange server.....LOL

IMHO you're missing the boat by not looking at the Windows Phone.
    This of course is just my $0.02 worth, and Yes, I did drink the MSFT kool-aid on this phone and very happy I switched.

John
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PontiacPeggy View Post
    Lack of synching to Outlook is one reason I will not go to a Windows phone. Too bad. I had a Windows phone before and loved it but MS has done a huge disservice to those of us who are not interested in cloud computing and want to synch with Outlook not Hotmail or Windows Live or whatever it is. My BB synchs beautifully. I'll stick with it.
    I bought my Windows phone a couple weeks ago. I use Outlook so I knew Outlook would be a problem area. Two weeks later I find most things can be overcome. I still use Outlook and I get my email in Outlook and my phone. Calendar synchronizes fine with Hotmail and the only problem is that tasks do not synch. All in all I feel Outlook ended up being not such a big issue and I am happy I got my Windows Phone .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cdebald (2012-02-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm reading with interest what you guys have done. I'd like to have my Outlook calendar sync with my WLM calendar too. But I do not want the WLM email account to be the default account in Outlook. Is there a way to have your technique work for me in this situation?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast