5 Star Lounger
    Slough, Berkshire UK

paragon alignment tool

Have just recently bought paragon alignment tool to align my SSD as i did a restore from an image from a HDD which meant as I had not done a proper install of win 7 the drive was not aligned. Apart from a few problems paragon aligned my SSD OK. But it also aligned my standard external HDDs. I can't understand why this would be necessary on a standard HDD as I thought a De-fragmentation run would do all that is necessary to get good performance and they do not suffer from the wear factor SSDs do.
    Does anyone know what if anything re-alignment of HDD achieves?

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounge VIP
    A logical data sector of a SSD must be aligned to the physical page in the flash memory. If a logical sector is split across a page boundary two page writes will be needed to write one logical sector, resulting in increased wear.

There are no physical pages on a hard disk, so it cannot align sectors to pages. However, it may be attempting to align the partitions of the hard drive.

Prior to Vista, partitions were aligned to a 63-sector offset reported by the hard drive controller.

On almost all but the highest spec residential systems this will make little significant difference. On the other hand, it does make a real difference if the system employs a RAID array.

On systems from Vista onward, any new partitions created will be correctly aligned, but pre-existing partitions will not. Therefore, it is possible the tool was attempting to align the partitions to overcome the 63-sector offset. Whether it actually moved any data depends on whether the partitions were created in Vista, Win 7, etc, or if they were created under XP etc.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-02-04 at 14:31.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2012-02-04)