New Lounger
    Thanks

need desktop scanner recommendation

I'm open for ideas: I already have a flatbed scanner (but no sheet feed) and an Acrobat Pro license. What I need is one of those quick gizmos like NeatDesk or the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 but without the $400 price tag. I volunteer for a non-profit association and was tasked with archiving three storage boxes full of paper documents. I have better things to do so I would like to make short work out of this. The association doesn't have a big budget and would like me to keep the price tag down. I know...choose one. Does anyone have a solution for me? Carol

Thanks
    Buy an Epson All In One, Printer - Scanner, auto sheet feeder.

I have two of them but the Workforce 500 has the auto sheet feeder.
    Look it up on Epson's web site.

I actually have five Epson printers, two with scanners, and one dedicated scanner with backlight, for scanning 35mm color slides.

Happy Shopping!
    The Doctor (aka, The Printer Man)
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you already have a photocopier you may be able to connect it to the network and scan to email / disk.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You should probably weigh your scanner pricing options against the cost of taking your documents somewhere in your local area to have them scanned and put on disk for you.

Deals may be had on decent hardware if you have the "scrounging & looking for deals" gene;
    Craigslist
    http://www.ebay.com/
    Local Pawnshops
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-02-07 at 13:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ebay is best for buy products

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had an HP G4050 for 3 - 4 years, under XP, and later Win 7. I tend to use the scanner sporadically, only once or occasionally twice a year. My XP experience was OK, but Ive had nothing but recurring problems under Win 7. There is a driver version for Win 7 posted on HP's support site which seems to "flake out" for some reason between my scanning sessions. HP has major fixes on it's support site for various errors, which you should review if you haven't purchased a scanner yet. None of the fixes directly addresses Win 7 operating system problems. Get this: they still list fixes which apply to systems as far back as Windows 95. Hey, Meg Whitman, let's get with it, You have lots of work to do.

I write this now 'cause I'm again fighting the same problems and stumbled across your question.. A product named VueScan which I tried yesterday seems to do the basic scanning functions, if you are willing to spend an additional $40.00 to supplement the software HP provides.

My experience with HP products is that you get "the good, the bad and the ugly". Good hardware, Bad software and ugly support.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your prices shouldn’t be too much different from mine, but availability and accessibility help a lot. Check any local outlets online, especially their sales flyers, for what is available. It’s nice to be able to just pick it up and take it home with you.

There is a Staples at the end of my street. For less than $200 Cdn I can get an 'HP Officejet 6500A PLUS Colour Inkjet e-All-in-One Printer', which is wireless (and USB and Ethernet and SD slots), has a sheet feeder, and it will print (duplex) and fax and scan and copy. It has an energy-saving feature that ‘uses up to 40% less energy than laser printers’ (which may save energy but cost a fortune in ink, depending on how you use it). I happen to have one, but not the latest model. In looking online at this week’s flyer, I see that for the same price you can get a (presumably similar) Brother, but it is a laser, not an inkjet, and it’s on sale at a substantial discount. You do need a small table or stable surface to place something like this, but it offers a lot of flexibility.

These devices are now a commodity: they don’t cost a fortune, and they are a quality product. Good shopping and good luck.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-03-02 at 21:13.

Thanks
    I have had a CanoScan Lide 100 for about four years and it has never failed me. It scans and gives a clear copy every time I have used it. It is only one and one quarter inches high and has four buttons on its front panel. Copy button will scan and send info to your printer to print, scan button will scan and send the image to any folder you choose, PDF button .... does that flawlessly and needs no explanation, and the e-mail button sends any scanned copy to an out going e-mail as an attachment. In my opinion for less than 100 dollars, it does everything I would like it to do except make chocolate chip cookies! Dropped it while I was dusting around it and it is still kicking butt as well as the day I bought it. Check out Canon. It might just be what you are looking for, for a reasonable price. Great tech support too….right here in the good old USA.
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I have a CanoScan FB620U which is certified as having been delivered by Christopher Coumbus himself. A church group might, however, find it handy, or possibly a little too handy, to have multipurpose device that also works as a photocopier, amongst other things.