Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Problem With USB Drive

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

The last time I used it my USB drive was working perfectly, however when I attached it today and tried to open it I got the message "Please insert a disk into Drive F". I tried to scan the drive with avast! internet security but that said the device is not ready.Malawarebytes however reported no problems.

When I attached the device today I was told "device driver installed successfully" and I have used this drive many times without this message appearing.

Apart from the above the safely remove hardware icon normally appears in the system tray for this device, but it is not doing so now.

I would greatly appreciate help in solving this problem.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    Quite often when you remove these devices improperly, you get a failure the next time stating something like "device removed incorrectly, do you wish to scan device". Usually this fixes the problem. Perhaps the last time you removed the device, something got corrupted. I would try removing the device properly a couple of times and/or using a different USB plug to see if the problem corrects itself.

Was this a flash drive, or something else? Flash drives are notorious for failing without warning (hence the advice given by many to not leave any critical data on them). If the device was indeed a flash drive, you might try a different flash.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    Run Chkdsk on your USB. If that fails, transfer it's data to another pc, format it then replace data.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted & Roderunner,

Yes it is a flash drive and I always remove it or any other external drive using the safely remove hardware option.

I tried to run chkdsk on the drive, but was told "cannot open the volume for direct access". How do I transfer it's data to another pc, when I can't open the drive? (With regard to formatting,when I try to format it the message "Please insert a disk in drive...." appears.).

Please advise what else, if anything, I can try.

Thanks and regards,Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try to see if disk management can see it. Maybe can assign a new drive letter to it in case the drive letter part of drive got corrupted.

On some flash drives there is a lock button (tiny little switch) if yours has one make sure it hasn't been accidentally knocked to the lock position as then it would not be seen by windows and get same error.

what make / model of flash drive is it?
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-02-06 at 09:56.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Clive,

Disk Management can see it but whether or not I assign a new drive letter makes no difference, I still have the same problem.

The flash drive is a takeMS USB Mini R USB Device, and according to USB DeView the Vendor ID is 058f, the Product ID is 6387 and the Firmware Version is 1.01.

There is no lock button.

This is probably a stupid thought but the drive letter assigned to this drive by Windows is F. That is also the drive letter of an internal drive which was recently removed from my computer and returned to Seagate for warranty replacement. I still have shortcuts on my desktop relating to that drive which I intend to use when the replacement drive is installed and the data restored from a system image. Could this have anything to do with it?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Roy,
    I have 5 usb's that when they get plugged into the front port on my pc shows the same drive letter.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Insert flash drive
    2. Right click on that drive letter
    3. Click on eject
    4. Reboot and see if that helps

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi rmonroe36,

I tried that and it made no difference.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help, but unless anyone has other ideas I will have to throw the drive away and get a new one.

Best regards, Roy

Thanks
    The time spent on problems often exceeds the cost of new. In your case, a new flash drive is relatively inexpensive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Sad state of usb drives

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The time spent on problems often exceeds the cost of new. In your case, a new flash drive is relatively inexpensive.
    An update of my USB Issues I sympathise with original poster, Medico.

I have now lost the access to two USB Drives in Windows 10 thier new flagship software. A SanDisk and an Integral both 16GB. I am very sure I have ejected correctly the last time. The drive went when I was uploading a MS Word file from it to GMAIL. It uploaded . But when I sent the mail which was ok I noticed and error corrected it in word document and tried to save, the drive was gone and would not appear. The drive is registered ok in Device Manager as Integral Secure 360 USB . (Thats a laugh) The drive will not show in the volume list at all in DISK PART from CMD Prompt or in Disk Manager. It sometimes ghosts out as a G drive but this disk is never accessible. I have plugged in other USB Drives they are ok and work fine. The Integral Secure 360 when its plugged in a laptop detects as Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010(Protected)(Q: ) In the Device manager it has a driver USB DISK 30X USB Device. I am wondering if a windows update has cause this differance in these two Windows 10 machines drivers or if it is just a FAT loss from the drive. Am potentially not using USB drives on MSW10 anymore until this is resolved.