New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 template stuck in compatibility mode! help!!!

Hi newbie here

I've in charge of customizing templates for office use, and have hit a bug. Due to a rare glitch in Word 2007, templates that began life as Word 2003 templates, were re-saved in 07 format, then stored and accessed on a Windows-based server system *phew* have a tendancy to lag and crash in all resulting documents. So I found the only reliable fix is to save the 2007 template in Compatibility mode for Word 2003. There are no 2007 features that need to be preserved.

My problem is this: My Word 2007 template must be saved in compatibility mode, or it won't work full stop. As we know, opening a template by double-clicking creates a new document based on the template, rather than opening the template itself. My resulting documents are being opened and saved as .docx files, which is what I want, but are stuck in compatibility mode. If I open one of these resulting documents, and use 'Convert', it changes to Word 2007 format just fine. But I want the files to automatically open in 2007 .docx format without needing to convert. Is this possible, or do I need to resort to macros?

Please note before replying: I am not asking how to save Word 2007 documents in compatiblity mode, or how to open 97-03 docs in Word 2007.

Under Word Options > Save, 'save files in this format' is set to 'Word document (*.docx)', and under 'Advanced', 'Layout file as if created in' is set to 'Word 03', can cannot be changed.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, this is doing my head in!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

Without having reproduced the exact scenario you've described, it seems reasonable that new documents, created from a template set to compatibility mode, would start out life in compatibility mode too - since new documents are based on the templates they are created from.

A general rule in creating templates is: create the templates in the Word version (and file format) for which they are intended to be used (and a corollary of that is: don't turn a Word 2003 template into a Word 2007 template by doing a 'SaveAs' to the new file format). If you want a Word 2007 template for creating Word 2007-formatted documents, start out with a fresh Word 2007-formatted template.

Can you: create a new template shell in Word 2007 (.dotx or .dotm as the case requires) and then bring the content from your original 2003 template, into the 2007 template?
    It means some extra work to start, but may eliminate potential glitches like the one you're getting.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary

That seems to have done to trick, thanks very much! The copy/paste actually worked almost perfectly, I hadn't even bothered trying before because of how much customization it took to get the template working in the first place, but it literally worked instantly

Time will tell if the bugs are gone, but theoretically, this should take care of it. Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad that worked!
    A few things to remember to look at when putting the old content into a new 2007 shell:

Page layout: new template may need some of these settings re-set manually.

Styles collection: Word 2007 and later versions include a bunch of built-in styles (like Subtle Emphasis and Intense Quote) that you might not want to include in your new template. You can control which styles are available by displaying the Style pane and then clicking on the Manage Styles button to get at a dialog where you can control the show/hide settings of individual styles. You can also control which styles display in the Quick Styles gallery, and also the order in which styles display.

Custom Properties: If you had any of these, you'll need to re-insert them in the new template.

Gary