2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I fax from Windows 7?

I have a new W7 Professional 64-bit machine and want to use the built-in Windows Fax and Scan program to fax documents right from within my computer applications. Here's what Windows 7, The Missing Manual says about this:

Faxing in Win7.png

This talks about "your PC's built-in fax modem," but I have no such fax modem built into my machine. I checked with the computer shop that built my machine and they said that they literally hadn't built a new machine with a 56K fax modem in at least five years, as everyone was going to ADSL. Still, being able to fax a document by just printing it to the Fax printer is about as handy a feature as you can find on a computer. So, my question is: If "no one has been using PC fax modems for years," why does the relatively new W7 offer faxing as a feature, and if there are indeed 56K fax modems that have drivers that work correctly with W7 Pro 64-bit, which ones are they and where can I find them?

Many thanks for any and all help.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on HP ProBook
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on OLD Dell laptop
    Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop 5.0

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if USB fax modems for 64-bit WIn7 helps.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you raise a good point about Windows 7 having inherent fax capability now that fax modems are so scarce, when it was an optional extra in Windows XP even though many more PCs would have included a modem back then. But planning for Windows 7 did start about 10 years ago, so perhaps there was just not much point in dropping fax.

You can search Windows 7 Compatibility Center if you enter "fax modem" in the hardware section, and find several internal and external modems all certified to be compatible with Windows 7. They either show "installs automatically without extra software" or they have links to required driver downloads.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-06 at 21:09.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could try this site you can send faxes via email not free but may be useful.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    You could try one of the many USB fax modems or other PCIE addon modems.

Faxing is just not an itegral part of computing for the average consumer. Besides, there are plenty of on-line faxing sites, some of which
    may even offer free service for the occasional usage, ads aside.

Newegg: Fax Modems

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the various ideas. Although the need for faxing for most people isn't as great as it once was, we do run our own business and sometimes faxing is just required. We have a separate multifunction printer that includes fax functionality, but it's sometimes a pain to print something out and take it to the fax machine, especially when it's so easy to fax a document directly from within the application used to create it.

I found a cheap fax modem at NewEgg that got good reviews, so I'll probably go with that. Although that particular modem is not listed on the Windows 7 compatibility page for fax modems, they do list it as "Windows 7 ready" and it has gotten positive reviews from W7 Pro 64-bit users, so I assume it should be fine. As to the online fax services, they're perfect for the home user with the rare need for a fax, but if we don't want commercial ads on our professional faxes to businesses and health care practitioners - and we certainly don't - the cost per fax for ad-free faxes from online services will quickly exceed the cost of this fax modem.

Thanks again to all. It's great to have such a helpful group of contributors on this forum.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You're quite welcome. We're always will to give advice.

Glad you found something you like. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    And hopefully the old adage about free advice being worth what you pay for it doesn't apply here!

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    And hopefully the old adage about free advice being worth what you pay for it doesn't apply here!
    Well, to be honest, that adage is very true about some free advice here, because in some cases there are many differing opinions, so they won't all be on the mark, though sometimes that can be explained by the fact that those who are responding may not have been given all the facts of the case clearly or correctly by the person posting. Still, when people cooperate and try their best to share ideas and help each other in a friendly and supportive manner, as they do on this forum, it's a pleasure to come here, whether to share information or to learn from others.