Star Lounger
    Thanks

why does microsoft security essentials keep turning itself off

I notice I have left over Kasperky files in my registry at the legacy level, it won't let me delete them, is there a safe way to get rid of them or is this not the problem.

Thanks
    Should not be a problem. You might try CCleaner. You might want to consider changing the title since it has nothing to do with the question.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted - maybe the title and the message itself is one sentence?

qwest - make sure the Security Essential is the newest one and updated with the latest definitions too.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qwest View Post
    I notice I have left over Kasperky files in my registry at the legacy level, it won't let me delete them, is there a safe way to get rid of them or is this not the problem.
    quest,
    Hello... Not sure about Kasperky...but i know some security programs will disable Windows security to take control using it's own program.. If you want to remove the "Registry Entries" you will in some cases have to set yourself as the "owner" and then give yourself "full control" of the offending "Keys". You can find them all using the "Edit" then "Find" feature running Registry Editor Input "Kasperky" and click find, After exporting or deleting hit F-3 to find the next entry. The safest way to proceed at that point is to "Export" the entries first ... This way you can always replace them in the case something goes wrong. Or do a full system backup "Image" first ... You should always make a full backup before "Messing" with the Registry.....take it from me , it's easy to "hose " your OS in the blink of an eye. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I wasn't clear with the post let me start over, before I learned of MSE I was using Kaspersky on my Win7 machine. I uninstalled Kaspersky with Revo Uninstaller and installed MSE. It's been awhile since I did this, suddenly the action center says MSE needs to be turned on and did so, but now the message is there every time the computer is first fired up. I am set up as the administrator, I thought that meant I am the owner, am I missing something, please advise.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if the Kaspersky remnants are your problem, but almost all AV program providers have a removal tool which removes all traces of the program that the Windows uninstaller may have missed.
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qwest View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear with the post let me start over, before I learned of MSE I was using Kaspersky on my Win7 machine. I uninstalled Kaspersky with Revo Uninstaller and installed MSE. It's been awhile since I did this, suddenly the action center says MSE needs to be turned on and did so, but now the message is there every time the computer is first fired up. please advise.
    Sounds like you have it right...The previous security "Reg Entries" may be causing some problems...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A nice, safe utility for registry cleaning/editing (60 day free trial).
    http://www.macecraft.com/jv16powertools2011/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or just go into regedit, search for kaspersky and delete everything by hand.

** standing back for all the outcry about registry tinkering **

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with cleaning things up in the registry, either methods will do fine.
    If the problem persists you may need to reinstall MSE.
    Also take a look in the event viewer and see if there are any specific errors relating to MSE or some related component thereof.

On my system, occasionally it will show as off (red) for only a few seconds after bootup...but not every time the system is booted. 1 in 20 bootups maybe.

Thanks
    suddenly the action center says MSE needs to be turned on and did so, but now the message is there every time the computer is first fired up.
    Its normal for MSE to be turned off for awhile when you boot depending on the speed of your computer. Its more prevalent on XP systems. Wait for a couple of minutes and see if MSE is enabled.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies, finally got rid of kaspersky leftovers. I backed up and formatted, now is it safe to install SP1 as a stand alone.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mandarin View Post
    Or just go into regedit, search for kaspersky and delete everything by hand.

** standing back for all the outcry about registry tinkering **
    Tinker away! By all means but...

Before you delete anything it's usually safer to rename the key, value, etc. by just using the date you're renaming it on in front of the old name. This retains the original name and data in place. If it turns out you need the data, etc. you can search on the date and then rename the key, value, etc. by removing the date and leaving the original name in the place it belongs. Even if you never delete it (leave it in its renamed state)...all modern Windows OSs can handle artifacts left in place with ease.

A tip of the hat to Jerry Honeycutt who recommended the idea to me years ago. ('Windows Registry Guide,' Microsoft Press)
    James, Santa Barbara CA

Windows XP Professional sp3
    Pentium 4, 3.40GHz, Step 10, 64-bit, 4.00 GB (2.87), WDC , 1TB, 7200rpm, SATA, 3.0GB/s, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512MB (EVGA),
    MS Security Essentials 2.0, WAU on, Secunia PSI, Google Chrome, IE8, MS Silverlight, Windows Live Essentials, MS Office Ultimate 2007, MS Office Visio Pro 2007, MS Office Live Add-In, Zune, iTunes, Foxit Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Java, CCleaner, Registry Crawler