Thread: non-starting IE

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

non-starting IE

I installed a pc (Windows XP professional) for a couple who are totally new to the web and computing. It worked for a few months. Now IE8 no longer starts -- it flickers and goes off. The security software Comodo (which I have never used before -- it came with this donated pc) has sandboxed 8 files, all associated with IE8. [Comodo is totally up to date.] It says that it does not recognize these files, which I find are also on my other older XP pcs. [I am regularly using -- when it works -- Win 7 myself.]

A Google search provides some locations that claim that IE is sometimes hijacked (particularly iexplore.exe). Also, this pc (and my others) have a file with a funny name: iexplore.exe.mui -- is this usual?

I'm tempted to just unsandbox the files, but concerned: if Comodo is a useful protection approach, why would it not recongize iexplore.exe unless it was tampered with?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

globalist

Thanks
    I would boot into safe mode and run AV and AM scans. I would start with a full scan by Comodo. Then I would try a couple of scans using online scanners. MS has one such, another is Kaspersky and yet another is Eset. A Google search for "Online Virus Scanners" returns many other results.

I would also download and run MalwareBytes Antimalware and perhaps Super Antispyware or perhaps Spybot Search and Destroy

If these all show negative results then you might very well be looking at a false positive. I do not use Comodo AV. I use MSE and do like it's small footprint.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your rapid response.

I already had run a full scan with Comodo -- no issues found, except not recognizing the IE files and sandboxing them. My issue: I don't know how to download and try the others without opening IE, nor do I know how to download an alternative browser (e.g., Chrome) w/o first having an active browser. Clearly the web access is open, as Comodo updates are available and installed.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try starting IE with all addins disabled. Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (no add-ons).

If IE starts OK then you can enable add-ons one at a time until you find the culprit.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Isn't it Comodo creating the problem? Can you make Comodo recognize the files and not sandbox them? Maybe turn off Comodo for a while, turn on Windows firewall and try using IE.