Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Windows 8 — streamlining the update process

TOP STORY

Windows 8 — streamlining the update process

By Susan Bradley

It appears that Microsoft has heard our complaints about a tedious part of the Windows updating process.

Changes in Windows 8 should make the never-ending task of installing patches a bit easier, by reducing mandatory system restarts.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/windows-8-streamlining-the-update-process/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Is "Windows 8" really neccessary or is it just an excuse to gather more money from Microsoft consummers? The same can be said about the forthcoming release of the latest office. It would be nice to read a review about Microsoft's new releases that actually said that they were a waste of time and money for the consummer but I suppose that if a reviewer said that, then they would not be given anymore free software or am I just being cynical!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    [tbl=align=center bgcolor=white cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100% summary=Patch Watch][tr] [td=valign=top align=left width=620]

Susan Bradley said

"
    I’m convinced few of those folks actually want that option (especially busy notebook users who want to quickly get up and go, then end up cursing Windows when it wants to install a dozen updates before shutting down)."

I have solved this problem by setting my laptop to hibernate on closing the lid. At the end of a presentation, I don't switch off but just close the lid. When I get back to the office (or home in my case), I can open up the laptop again and then shut it down properly when it's convenient to me. I also have auto updates off and only connect to Windows update when I have time to do the updates.

JG

New Lounger
    Thanks

Susan Bradley: Win 8 reboot requirement

Susan Bradley: "I'm convinced few of those folks actually want that option (especially busy notebook users who want to
    quickly get up and go, then end up cursing Windows when it wants to install a dozen updates before shutting down)."

I'm one of the 39 percent who didn't realize until reading this article that I had a choice when to reboot automatic changes being made by Microsoft. And, as she suggests, it's most annoying when using a notebook, but I fixed that by buying a
    Macbook Pro. I still have the problem with my DTPC.

Excellent summary of the Win8 changes in this regard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan Bradley: "I'd love to interview that 39 percent and ask them whether they really wanted to install updates at shutdown" I do not have that feature enabled on my laptops as that would be a nuisance. But I very much appreciate it on the desktops we have at home. We typically shut them down at night and so I can let Windows do its update at that time and head off to bed without thinking about it again. There is also the choice of clicking the appropriate button to say "no thanks, do not install the updates now, just shut down".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wish MS would make auto update of Windows Defender as easy as other security vendors. The creation of a restore point seems unnecessary and time consuming.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great posting Susan! Thanks for your commitment on keeping us up-to-date on the issues.

I need all the help you can give for me to best serve my customers who will be migrating eventually to Windows 8 either on a PC or to some other device. The Windows reboot process after updates needs to be as flawless and unabtrusive as possible. Hopefully lots of dialog will come from Redmond describing how to make the process more seemless for users as possible. My only remaining concern is about the necessity of the various patches which you've detailed extensively before in other columns. Some patches get rushed out to the public before they've been tested enough. (I hate those situations.)

I get the impression that the whole update process is still very, very confused--critical updates vs optional vs problem updates vs unnecessary but useful if other software is installed, etc. As a techie I've become very cautious and only install the most critical of updates for Windows for my customers. The last thing I want is for my customers to have a Windows update that crashes their system. (I'm liable for that mistake if I recommended installing the patch.) Industry has lots of ways to test updates before installing them on critical computers. My customers largely only have one computer without that testing option and when the update fails, it can be terrible mess to untangle. It's not good enough when Redmond pulls back the patch and issues a revision later because the damage is already done.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boghound View Post
    Is "Windows 8" really neccessary or is it just an excuse to gather more money from Microsoft consummers? The same can be said about the forthcoming release of the latest office. It would be nice to read a review about Microsoft's new releases that actually said that they were a waste of time and money for the consummer but I suppose that if a reviewer said that, then they would not be given anymore free software or am I just being cynical!
    2012-02-09 22:23
    There's this thing called an iPad. Perhaps you've heard of it? ;-) Seriously, Redmond needs an OS that supports a tablet platform. That's the aim of Windows 8. And honestly because Microsoft has been EXTREMELY closed mouthed about Windows 8, there's no one that can give an honest review right now. It's too early, Microsoft is being too closed mouthed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    2012-02-09 22:23
    There's this thing called an iPad. Perhaps you've heard of it? ;-) Seriously, Redmond needs an OS that supports a tablet platform. That's the aim of Windows 8. And honestly because Microsoft has been EXTREMELY closed mouthed about Windows 8, there's no one that can give an honest review right now. It's too early, Microsoft is being too closed mouthed.
    Just release a patch (Microsoft are good at that) so that Win 7 will operate on a tablet platform and not "blackmail" companies and individuals into upgrading a complete OS..Simples!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just release a patch (Microsoft are good at that) so that Win 7 will operate on a tablet platform and not "blackmail" companies and individuals into upgrading a complete OS..Simples!
    Where's the blackmail? If you don't need 8, don't buy it; 7 will still work.

As for "just an excuse to gather more money": it's what companies do, sell new stuff; and not much different from new cars each year; only we can decide whether we need/want.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Where's the blackmail? If you don't need 8, don't buy it; 7 will still work.

As for "just an excuse to gather more money": it's what companies do, sell new stuff; and not much different from new cars each year; only we can decide whether we need/want.

Bruce
    the difference is that in a few years after release companies are forced to upgrade because Microsoft stops patching ie XP in 2014!

the difference with a car is that you don't have to take it to the dealer every month for a patch to the CPU or the engine starts to malfunction!

I don't have to breath but choose to do so......GROW UP!!!

Thanks
    @Boghound,

Using capital letters i.e. "GROW UP!!!" corresponds to shouting in speech. Let's keep things civil in these posts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    the difference is that in a few years after release companies are forced to upgrade because Microsoft stops patching ie XP in 2014!
    Depends what your definition of "few" is; 13?
    the difference with a car is that you don't have to take it to the dealer every month for a patch to the CPU or the engine starts to malfunction!
    Plenty of recall updates most years if we don't want our cars to spontaneously combust or crash due to failing brakes, steering or automatic acceleration etc. Not many for cars which are decades old though.
    Not sure of the relevance there; your computer won't die if you don't upgrade.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-10 at 09:13.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't patch your way onto a tablet/touch interface. Just like MacOS is not the same OS as an Ipad. It's not that simple.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bog, that's uncalled for here in this forum. As has been stated, just continue to use Windows 7 as it will be supported for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast