New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop / Pinned Icons / Start Menu

Win7 / 64 Bit / All up to date

If I pin an icon from my desktop to the task bar and then delete the icon from my desktop (no point in having 2 shortcuts basically on the desktop ), the pinned icon becomes that very generic one but still works.

If I pin an icon from the start menu, I don't delete them from there, the icons are fine.

If I re-create the shortcut on the desktop, the icon will re-appear with the next re-boot.

Is there any way to prevent the icons from "disappearing" when I remove them from my desktop ??

I don't want to add everything (like games) to the start menu as Win 7 is not very user friendly in being able to group them the way I would like -- at least I have not found an easy way yet -- which I guess makes this a 2 part question -- does anyone know of one ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    DataDog,

I can't answer the 1st question but I have an answer for the second. Create a toolbar on the Task Bar and you can then setup folders in it to contain grouped items.
    BTBToolbar.JPG

To create:
    1. Right-Click the Task Bar
    2. Make sure Lock Task Bar is Unchecked
    3. Click on Toolbars
    4. Click on New toolbar...
    5. Follow the prompts.

Basically, you'll establish a folder, in my case BTB {Bruce's Toolbar}, and put shortcuts in it you can of course add sub-folders and put shortcuts in them neatly organized. Once created you just work directly in Windows Explorer to add things and they automatically appear on the toolbar.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I do something similar except I call my new toolbar Shortcuts. I then add any app I use regularly to this Shortcuts folder. The Shortcuts folder is located in My Documents.

ShortcutsToolbar.png
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See if How to change the icon of pinned taskbar items helps. I've seen what you describe if the shortcut you pin is a website but not for regularly installed programs.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all -- I was hoping to just re-arrange the current start button programs, but those look like good ideas.

On the icon question, I tried the suggestion from JoeP517, however when I tired entering the TSKILL EXPLORER, I receive the following error:

"Windows cannot find 'TSKILL' .... etc."