Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Change colour of other calendar in Outlook 2007

Within Outlook 2007, in addition to my own calendar, I have access to several others. I can arrange these other calendars side by side or stacked, but I can't find a way to change the colour of the entries in the other calendars.

Currently, I have Blue (for mine), Pink, Grey and Green. The grey calendar almost disappears into the background when using stacked - it would be useful to set it to some other colour that stands out a bit more.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Can't remember how it was in 2007, bit that is definitely possible in 2010. If you right click the calendar, don't you get options to change the colour?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi ruirub,

Right-click gives me the option to categorise in my calendar, so I can change the colour of an individual entry. If however, I right click in the other calendars, Categorise doe not give any available options - they are greyed out.

I can adjust auto-format and create a rule to set a colour based on the organiser of the entry (i.e. who's calendar appointment it is), but that doesn't seem to attribute the rule against a particular calendar.

I can disconnect a calendar and the remaining calendars change colour, but the third calendar is always grey.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Must be a 2010 feature, then. I can change the color for all the calendar events in any calendar.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, I just fired up a VM with Outlook 2010 on it and sure enough there is a right-click option to change the colour of the calendar.

It seems an awfully big step to update from 2007 to 2010 just to get a different calendar colour; I might just have to live with it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, I confess I prefer Outlook 2010. You will get used to the Ribbon, if you move to 2010. I think I wouldn't want to go back, now .

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile change coulours in Outlook 2007

Hi Ruirib
    Not sure if I've fully understood what you're trying to do, but in Outlook 2007 you can change the background colour of each calendar - go to Tools/Options and choose Calendar Options. It is a bit limited - you choose the default calendar colour and the other automatically change. On mine I can change the colours of any entry by using Categorize from within a calendar entry - this works in any calendar, but you need to set up the categories and their colours first. Hope that helps
    rdl

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks rdl,

just to clarify, I can change the background colour for my calendar and I can change the colour of any entry in my calendar through the categorise feature: but I can not change the colour of an entry in a different calendar to mine that is shared with me. The categorise feature is greyed out and I am left with the default colour allocated by Outlook to that calendar.

The difficulty comes with the grey colour allocated to the entries in one of the other calendars: it is so washed out that it almost disappears when I look at a stacked set of calendars.

See attached screen grab.

calendars.JPG

In that picture the red circled entry is in the grey calendar. It stands out a little in the picture because of the redaction and the highlighting I've applied, but the text and the box for the entry is in fact very washed out and difficult to see.

It's not a problem while making appointments, because Outlook will tell me if there is a clash, but when I casually look at the calendar, it almost disappears into the background.

Outlook 2010 however allows me to choose the colour of any calendar, including those not owned by me. As far as I can tell the only way round this is to upgrade to Outlook 2010.