New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Cannot access System Restore on XP SP3 system

I've been running XP since it came out, and have never used a restore point in all those years. I would like to eliminate all the old built up saves and turn off the restore point process. Every time I try to access the tab to open up the Restore Point Manager, I get the following exception error:

RUNDLL
    An exception occured trying to run "C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll, Control_Run.DLL "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl", system"

How do I repair Rundll so that it runs the restore point app, and/or delete all the old points? This has been bugging me for a long time, and I'm finally tired of it not working right.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    While I don't recommend turning off System Restore, if you haven't used it since 2001, then it's unlikely you will use it in the future.

So, to overcome the rundll error, you need to re-install it first, then turn it off. You can follow this Microsoft Answers post, which points to this mvp blog entry.

Having re-installed System Restore following the above guidelines (to overcome the rundll error), you can then turn it off in the normal way.

I haven't tried this method, so can't guarantee its provenance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    Every time I try to access the tab to open up the Restore Point Manager, I get the following exception error:

How do I repair Rundll so that it runs the restore point app, and/or delete all the old points? This has been bugging me for a long time, and I'm finally tired of it not working right.
    Rifter,
    Hello.... Try running (opening) a Command Prompt as "Administrator" and Input.... sfc /scannow (System File Checker) You may have to load your XP CD if the i386 file is not present on your PC .... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Duh! What did I miss?
    If you've never used System Restore how did you get any Restore Points?

And if you don't ever want to use it, disable the Service, in "Services.msc" and the restore points will disappear.

If they don't go away, then Delete them.

I can do that any time I want on my XP PC.

I also delete all the old restore points before I do my Weekly Ghost backup of my C: drive. If I have a fresh backup 'in the can' so to speak, I don't need a bunch of restore points.
    I use System Restore often enough that I want a fresh restore point at any hour of any day when something mucks up my PC.
    So to make sure I have one when I need it, I FORCE a new Restore Point with a little script, every time I boot up my PC.

I'm sitting here just wondering how much else, you've NOT done with your PC since 2001 ???
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!