2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend wired routers?

I need to purchase a wired (10-100base T) router (includes fire wall, DHCP, up stream port etc) with 8 to 12 down stream ports. I haven’t done this for a while and it seems unless you’re wiring a corporation the only thing available is wireless. I see plenty of switches but that doesn’t provide the network separation I’m looking for between the up stream side and the down stream network. Where can I find such a beast these days?
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    C,

Why not just buy any Router {usually have 4 upstream ports} and hook a switch into one of them. If you buy Gigabit router {most are now a days} and a Gigabit switch {will still work at 100MBs} you shouldn't have any problems and bandwidth to spare.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right I could but I'm buying two boxes with a wireless access point I don't want, will need to disable and can't use the bandwidth anyway. I can still get old models of Netgear routers that are what I want. I was just wondering if anyone made something like it that's current.

Thanks anyway,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Would the TP-Link TL-R860 do the job?

Cheap and cheerful 1 WAN port, 8 LAN port, firewall, port forwarding, dhcp, etc. Currently available from Amazon.

There were 4, but now only 3 left in stock.... for £16 I couldn't resist!

/edit....

it arrived next day and I can confirm a little beauty: 1 WAN, 8 LAN, Fully featured wired router. A real snip at only £16 and free Saturday delivery!
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-02-11 at 18:50. Reason: Couldn't help buying one...

Thanks
    Here is an 8 port;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704070
    Shipping is,FREE!
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yup, that's exactly the same model that sits on my bench now: it will be used to isolate client machines from my own network.

It was £16 from Amazon UK with free delivery (around $25), so $33 from New Egg may not be the best price around. Irrespective though: $25 or $33, it's still a bargain.

I was quite tempted to buy the job lot on Amazon: I think I could sell them on for a tidy profit elsewhere, but since I don't run a retail outlet, I don't like having cash tied up in stock...even at such a low price.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The d-link DIR 632 has 8 wired ports along with being a wireless router. You can always disable the wireless and just use the 8 ports.

Woody