2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend wired routers?

I need to purchase a wired (10-100base T) router (includes fire wall, DHCP, up stream port etc) with 8 to 12 down stream ports. I haven’t done this for a while and it seems unless you’re wiring a corporation the only thing available is wireless. I see plenty of switches but that doesn’t provide the network separation I’m looking for between the up stream side and the down stream network. Where can I find such a beast these days?
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Thanks
    C,

Why not just buy any Router {usually have 4 upstream ports} and hook a switch into one of them. If you buy Gigabit router {most are now a days} and a Gigabit switch {will still work at 100MBs} you shouldn't have any problems and bandwidth to spare.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right I could but I'm buying two boxes with a wireless access point I don't want, will need to disable and can't use the bandwidth anyway. I can still get old models of Netgear routers that are what I want. I was just wondering if anyone made something like it that's current.

Thanks anyway,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Would the TP-Link TL-R860 do the job?

Cheap and cheerful 1 WAN port, 8 LAN port, firewall, port forwarding, dhcp, etc. Currently available from Amazon.

There were 4, but now only 3 left in stock.... for £16 I couldn't resist!

/edit....

it arrived next day and I can confirm a little beauty: 1 WAN, 8 LAN, Fully featured wired router. A real snip at only £16 and free Saturday delivery!
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-02-11 at 18:50. Reason: Couldn't help buying one...

Thanks
    Here is an 8 port;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704070
    Shipping is,FREE!
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yup, that's exactly the same model that sits on my bench now: it will be used to isolate client machines from my own network.

It was £16 from Amazon UK with free delivery (around $25), so $33 from New Egg may not be the best price around. Irrespective though: $25 or $33, it's still a bargain.

I was quite tempted to buy the job lot on Amazon: I think I could sell them on for a tidy profit elsewhere, but since I don't run a retail outlet, I don't like having cash tied up in stock...even at such a low price.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The d-link DIR 632 has 8 wired ports along with being a wireless router. You can always disable the wireless and just use the 8 ports.

Woody