Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox crashes

New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox crashes

Firefox has been crashing continually for several weeks. (I saw some older posts on this subject, but nothing recent). Sometimes it will run a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes. I have already posted this issue on the Mozilla forums, done everything that was suggested but nothing has helped. They suggested that I post in a Windows forum.

Here are details of my system: Windows Vista Ultimate OS updated with all patches, latest drivers in place, crashes began with Firefox 9 and continues with Firefox 10. Chrome does not crash. I don't use IE.

Firefox crashes even when running with Ad-ons disabled in Safe Mode. Crashes even when idle and not doing any work with it. I created a new Firefox profile and it still crashes. I am the only user account on the PC, I have not tried running Firefox under another user account.

Any trouble-shooting help appreciated.
    Hydroguy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try opening a command prompt in admin mode entering sfc/scannow to see if ther are any corrupted system files.
    You could also try completely un-installing Firefox preferably using revo-uninstaller with highest scan settings. Then reinstalling from a new download from Mozilla site.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-02-11 at 18:39.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Also try Firefox 10.01, it has some bugfixes, including for crashing on startup (again).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy View Post
    Any trouble-shooting help appreciated.
    Hydroguy
    What Firewall are you using. ?
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    What Firewall are you using. ?
    The only firewall I use is the built-in Windows firewall and the hardware firewall provided by my router.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You can try opening a command prompt in admin mode entering sfc/scannow to see if ther are any corrupted system files.
    You could also try completely un-installing Firefox preferably using revo-uninstaller with highest scan settings. Then reinstalling from a new download from Mozilla site.
    I will try this as soon as I can.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Also try Firefox 10.01, it has some bugfixes, including for crashing on startup (again).
    I got FF 10.01 yesterday, still crashes.

Thanks
    The only firewall I use is the built-in Windows firewall and the hardware firewall provided by my router.
    Just wishing you good luck, I'm out of suggestions.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    The sfc/scannow process did fix some reported issues but did not help with the FF crashes. I do not have revo-uninstaller but I did an uninstall using CCleaner. The manually removed the mozilla folder left behind in the Program Files directory. Then I used CCleaner to remove all the registry files left behind. That seems to have fixed the problem. Been using it now for 2 days without any crashes , I hope it continues.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    hydroguy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad we could help. I always uninstall firefox before downloading latest versions as it clears up the old profiles and cache.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    The sfc/scannow process did fix some reported issues but did not help with the FF crashes. I do not have revo-uninstaller but I did an uninstall using CCleaner. The manually removed the mozilla folder left behind in the Program Files directory. Then I used CCleaner to remove all the registry files left behind. That seems to have fixed the problem. Been using it now for 2 days without any crashes , I hope it continues.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    hydroguy
    You should also have removed all of Firefox's User Data (not just the Profile), which Revo Uninstaller would have done. But if your method works, go with the results you've got. Also, make sure your Flash Player and Java Runtime are updated. Firefox interacts with these plugins, and they do not always self-update and clean up old versions of themselves.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    You should also have removed all of Firefox's User Data (not just the Profile), which Revo Uninstaller would have done. But if your method works, go with the results you've got. Also, make sure your Flash Player and Java Runtime are updated. Firefox interacts with these plugins, and they do not always self-update and clean up old versions of themselves.
    But not before backing up a copy of the Firefox profile, in case you need to access and manually import the old Bookmarks, passwords and cookies, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FREE 'Mozbackup', available here: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

is a great program to backup Firefox and Thunderbird profiles, bookmarks, emails, etc. then the entire profile or any part of it can be restored just as it was.

It should work just fine on any version of Firefox or Thunderbird.

Thanks

Standard Diagnostics - Firefox

Often crashes can be the result of issues with the users profile. The Mozillazine Knowledgebase article Standard diagnostics - Firefox is a good place to start troubleshooting. There are also a number of articles about working with the profile including what files to copy to a new profile so that you don't lose all your personal data like bookmarks, passwords, browsing history, etc.

Also, did you go to Plugin Check to see if all your plugins are up to date?

A final note. Not all the modifications that addons make are disabled when running in safe mode. For example, the hooks that Adblock Plus puts into Firefox may still come into play even in safe mode. Because of that, it may be necessary to create a new profile and see if the crashing continues using it without any addons installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Another (less drastic) alternative

Sounds like you solved your problem using what I call "the nuclear option" (uninstall FF and start over), but for future reference, there are other, less drastic alternatives (which may matter, if you don't want to have to reconstruct your full add-on set and all your FF customizations).

We were discussing this very problem and the less-drastic solution in another Lounge thread two weeks ago, so follow the link if you want to see more about cleaning up a corrupted FF profile (which is often the source of a crash or freeze problem).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast